V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Pushrod 5.0 to 99-04 V6

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 02:37 PM
MCR
2nd Gear Member

Default Pushrod 5.0 to 99-04 V6

Swapping out the engine from a 1994 or 1995 mustang GT and putting it in a new edge v6

many have done this, and I heard it's a cheap set up. just find a donor car for 1000 to 2000$ and swap all the parts from the GT to the V6. do the tranny's bolt up? I have an automatic. I'm interested in doing this. No, I will not get a GT. I'm serious about keeping this car; whether to supercharge it or just to swap it in. A few decisions but would love to know how difficult this swap is. Yes, I know the GT's of that year only had 215HP, but I don't really care...the point is it's a V8 and it will have that amazing exhaust noise and I can always just save up for a supercharger
Also the V8 responds to the power way better than the V6
Old 11-22-2014, 04:37 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

If you have a complete donor car, the easiest way would be to basically "unmarry" the two, and remarry the 5.0 into the new edge.
Old 11-22-2014, 05:16 PM
MCR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
If you have a complete donor car, the easiest way would be to basically "unmarry" the two, and remarry the 5.0 into the new edge.
Yup. I was pretty much going for the donor car
Any step by step's? Any cutting has to be done?
Old 11-22-2014, 06:40 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

If you have to cut anything you aren't doing it right.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:46 PM
MCR
2nd Gear Member

Sounds good

I know the power will only be 215 but I know a supercharger would respond much better with a V8, would it not?
Old 11-22-2014, 06:49 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

The only reason the 5.0 would be better is the aftermarket is huge.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:06 PM
MCR
2nd Gear Member

Is the 5.0 from the Fox the same as the 5.0 from the 94-95 Mustang GT's (which Is the engine I'll be swapping out)
Old 11-22-2014, 08:03 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

The push rod 5.0L in the mustang is basically the same from 68-95. The only differences are the valves and intake
Old 11-22-2014, 11:08 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

You will have several problems.

1.) It is actually illegal to put an OBDI engine into an OBDII car for daily use. Now as long as your state doesn't do smog checks and as long as insurance doesn't check you can get by on this, but again, it's technically not legal.

2.) 94/95 5.0s are a pain to find parts for. A 87-93 setup will not work, without further modification, in an Sn95, and while the 94/95 is a more direct swap, parts are much much more limited. Heads/Cams/Upper intakes are similar (although needing adapters) other engine parts, those that wear out over time, are not as easy to replace without modification. Take this advice from a person that actually owned and built a 95 Mustang 5.0.

3.) As you stated you will need a doner car, the doner car will be old and old cars bring old car problems, see above.

4.) While 5.0s respond decently well to mods, if you're gonna drive this car daily you may want to reconsider. While it's fairly easy to push a OHV 5.0 to 300 bhp, your MPG suffers exponentially. Often to dropping to high teens, or very low 20s on all high way trips. Keep in mind, the technology here is old, these engines don't have the same electronics and as a result can never perform as well as newer cars as far as horse power versus mpg ratios go.

5.) Book value will actually depreciate on your car by performing this mod. So I know you love your car enough to keep it practically forever, because moving forward anything done is a complete loss on your end.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:48 AM
MCR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jthorn9
You will have several problems.

1.) It is actually illegal to put an OBDI engine into an OBDII car for daily use. Now as long as your state doesn't do smog checks and as long as insurance doesn't check you can get by on this, but again, it's technically not legal.

2.) 94/95 5.0s are a pain to find parts for. A 87-93 setup will not work, without further modification, in an Sn95, and while the 94/95 is a more direct swap, parts are much much more limited. Heads/Cams/Upper intakes are similar (although needing adapters) other engine parts, those that wear out over time, are not as easy to replace without modification. Take this advice from a person that actually owned and built a 95 Mustang 5.0.

3.) As you stated you will need a doner car, the doner car will be old and old cars bring old car problems, see above.

4.) While 5.0s respond decently well to mods, if you're gonna drive this car daily you may want to reconsider. While it's fairly easy to push a OHV 5.0 to 300 bhp, your MPG suffers exponentially. Often to dropping to high teens, or very low 20s on all high way trips. Keep in mind, the technology here is old, these engines don't have the same electronics and as a result can never perform as well as newer cars as far as horse power versus mpg ratios go.

5.) Book value will actually depreciate on your car by performing this mod. So I know you love your car enough to keep it practically forever, because moving forward anything done is a complete loss on your end.
Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it. Don't take this the wrong way but

1) Insurance does check here at all, besides I can just tell them I have a V8 and be honest about it, right? I couldn't care less about any inspections...this car won't see that much light. And there are ways around it. A few of my buds have swapped engines. This is the least of my problems. It's also illegal of having off road mid pipes but let's be honest...everyone does it

2) I completely understand this but at least having any donor car is much cheaper than buying parts separately. I know I'll have to do some work, and I know I'll have to buy new pieces but it Is totally worth it to me. And if I'm doing the labor myself with a few buds this whole project would not cost more than $2500...and I'll be selling my 3.8 engine which has less than 90K miles and I should get around 500$+ for it. I figured the Fox's would need modifications. My whole thought process was only directly towards those '94-95 GT's

3) This car is no daily driver nor ever will be. It's garage kept for the past year and half, so I understand how low my gas mileage will suffer. Again, totally worth it to me. This car doesn't see more than 1000+ miles a year anyway. I will not sell this V6 any time soon. The selling my V6 went right out there when it was painted a different color. Any car that is repainted + different color = a huge loss of value, so I pretty much figured and thought "Screw it, why not?" . I can always just supercharge the V6 but it really is a waste of money if I think about it. The V8 responds far better to modifications...especially earlier models. As the guy mentioned above me, there are more aftermarkets available for the 8

Last edited by MCR; 11-23-2014 at 05:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Pushrod 5.0 to 99-04 V6