V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

AC-Heat only blowing out of defrost vents

Old 11-28-2014, 07:04 PM
ChrisMcK

Default AC-Heat only blowing out of defrost vents

Hi, was hoping for some help trying to fix my issue. I have a 2000 V6 and last week the AC/Heat will now only blow out of the defrost vents. Both the AC and heat blow quite strong, but I just can't re-direct the air to other vents.

I've looked all over Google and have found that this appears to be something with the vacuum hoses. The problem is I can't find a picture showing me where the offending hoses are located under the hood.

Can anyone post a link to where the hoses are located?

Thanks for any help
Old 11-28-2014, 07:35 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

Ya its a vaccume problem. How to find it though I have no idea. Good luck with it.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:22 PM
ChrisMcK

I found it! I thought that a 'hose' would have the diameter of my small finger or something close but this thing had the diameter about the same as an iPhone charging cable. I followed it down and sure enough it was cracked. It seems like a solid piece going into the firewall so I'm not sure I can replace it...but as soon as I taped it with electrical tape the vents started working again.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:43 AM
JR Adkins

Chris.....did you have to remove the dash to follow the line. I've had this problem for a year now and would love to fix this. And if you could refer to where the line went thru the firewall, may make it easier for me to find.
Old 11-29-2014, 07:43 AM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

If you buy some silicone vac line that will slip tight over that hard line you can cut the hard line where its cracked and slip either end into about a 2 inch length (rough estimate, doesn't need to be exact) length of the silicone hose and that will get her fixed good. Don't cheap out on the silicone, get high temp engine grade stuff so it will never get brittle and dry rot on you. Wrap that in electrical tape again if it makes you feel better but you shouldn't need it.
Old 11-29-2014, 12:05 PM
ChrisMcK

Originally Posted by JR Adkins
Chris.....did you have to remove the dash to follow the line. I've had this problem for a year now and would love to fix this. And if you could refer to where the line went thru the firewall, may make it easier for me to find.
No, my issue was on the engine side. If your car is like mine you will see two metal tubes going into the passenger side. Right around the same area is a very thin plastic/rubber hose. I followed that until I found the break. Was very simple to patch.
Old 11-29-2014, 12:09 PM
ChrisMcK

Originally Posted by BabyGT
If you buy some silicone vac line that will slip tight over that hard line you can cut the hard line where its cracked and slip either end into about a 2 inch length (rough estimate, doesn't need to be exact) length of the silicone hose and that will get her fixed good. Don't cheap out on the silicone, get high temp engine grade stuff so it will never get brittle and dry rot on you. Wrap that in electrical tape again if it makes you feel better but you shouldn't need it.
Thanks. Now to figure out the diameter so I know what to order. Can I thread this over the whole length of the tube so the current tube is inside it or should I replace the entire thing...at least as much as I can?
Old 11-29-2014, 06:50 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Just cut the hard line right where the crack is then slide the hard line into either end of the piece of silicone vac line until the hard line touches in the middle of the silicone.