V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Headlight Cover Foggy / Dirty

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 11:38 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TfcCDR
Take the bulbs out and run a hair dryer on LOW into one of the holes for about 20 minutes. It might be easier if you take a chunk of hose to aim the warm air into the housing.
IS there some product to seal them up with so it doesn't happen again?..I was thinking the clear silicone in my caulk gun.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:18 AM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Daehawk
IS there some product to seal them up with so it doesn't happen again?..I was thinking the clear silicone in my caulk gun.
That's what id try, or possibly parts stores have some clear window sealant usually on the same isle as the rtv.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:55 AM
TfcCDR
2nd Gear Member

Not only no, but HELL no!

The absolute LAST thing you want to do is seal the headlight assembly!!!

When you turn on your headlights, the air in the housing heats up and expands. When you turn them off and it cools, it contracts. If not permitted to vent, your housing can be ruined.

The problem is that somewhere along the way, you let a lot (relatively speaking) of water get in there, and it takes forever for it to vent out. There may be an actual hole to let water drain, if so, it may be blocked. After all, this isn't a problem for more people, so there is something about your car that isn't the same as most others, and they're not sealed with silicone. Figure out the difference and you can fix it.

The reason for taking all of the bulbs out and blowing warm air through is to get the vapor out, replacing it with dry air.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:39 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TfcCDR
Not only no, but HELL no!

The absolute LAST thing you want to do is seal the headlight assembly!!!
Actually yes you do want to seal up the headlights. Not in the sense of air tight, there are vent tubes on the back.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:55 PM
TfcCDR
2nd Gear Member

If there are vent tubes, the headlights aren't sealed.

But, again, since the vast majority of Mustangs don't have a wet-light problem, something is wrong with the ones which do, and that needs to be corrected, not squirting RTV all over everything.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:30 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Almost all aftermarket headlights suffer from condensation in them.
It's a known problem and sealing the housing is the fix.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:17 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

I will also tell anyone who is doing this to NOT touch the headlight bulbs. The oil from your finger will stick to the glass and cause a hot spot when they are on and burn out the bulb.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:11 PM
TfcCDR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
Almost all aftermarket headlights suffer from condensation in them.
It's a known problem and sealing the housing is the fix.
I dunno about either statement. I see a lot of aftermarket headlights, and very few have water in them.

I also see the occasional housing with a deformed mirror, and they seem to mostly have been sealed up with RTV.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:01 PM
Tele-Caster

My 99 V6 was a rough, trailworn looking thing when i bought it, having severly hazed headlight assemblies among a long list of cosmetic defeciencies.

I cured the haze on mine by rubbing it out with a product called a "Magic Eraser" that I bought from the household goods department of Walmart -the department where you find the dishwasher soap and floor polish...

It took a lot of time, but the results came out great, with the haze totally removed.

Since that worked so well, I applied the things to my then nasty looking OEM alloy wheels. They worked like magic on the wheels, too, restoring them to new-looking cleanliness and luster.

And since that worked so well, I spiffed up my intake manifold and various other underhood parts...

Those Magic Eraser things have a lot of utility for making an old car look presentable again.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:05 AM
TfcCDR
2nd Gear Member

The only problem with de-hazing products is that the polycarbonate housing has a very thin hardened layer (scratch protection). Once you have taken off the layer (while taking off the haze) it will get hazy faster. However, this may mean 5 years instead of 10, so it's nothing to really worry about.

Any microabrasive will do the job. One popular method of polishing acrylic is to rub with toothpaste.

Quick Reply: Headlight Cover Foggy / Dirty