V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

"Just buy a GT if you're going to waste all that money"

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 05:05 AM
MCR
2nd Gear Member

Default "Just buy a GT if you're going to waste all that money"

Okay this is money's game. If you have the most money you'll probably have the superior car. This is well known. Now when someone asks a question about to how make their V6 quicker you'll get the same answer, "Why waste all that money? Buy a GT"

This is what I don't understand. A GT around the market now a days depending on what state could be 6-10k depending on mileage. If you have a V6 that is better because most of the GT's now a days have been driven...hard, and a lot of them look bad because the ones that actually look good the owners will rarely ever sell. Now if someone buys a 6 that's good looking and they want to make power they come on any Mustang forum and they ask that question, the most typical answer a 6'er gets? "Buy a GT". Okay see from this standpoint I don't get it. Why would I buy a GT if I can go spend $5000 (less than a GT) on a supercharger and already be on par with a 4.6 3V? Better yet I can go ahead and spend 10,000$ on the 6'er and already be in ridiculous numbers (450 RWHP+) it is not unusual. Why in the world would I back track myself and spend 10,000 on a Mach 1 or a Cobra if I can make double the amount and impress people with a 6'er? So that whole "Buy a GT" doesn't make any sense, especially since 2V's were underpowered anyway

So case in point for those who are actually wondering, ignore those who say "Buy a GT". Seriously...again look at the numbers. A supercharger runs you 4000-5000$ and can have your car up near the 300 RWHP on a bone stock 6. Why waste that 5000$ on a 2V and then have to add in more money after to boost it up? Wouldn't the logical thing is just to keep going with what you have? Sure the V8's have more potential, but who cares? Every car has their potential. It is if you know what to do with it. At first I felt swapping the motor, but the project isn't worth it anymore because I'd be spending more $$$$. With the money I was going to put in the project car I could have gotten cams, or a used supercharger and make superior numbers than the 8's

Also just to let you guys know most people who actually want to "Street race" (I don't, it's pretty stupid) pales in comparison to a 300 RWHP. So even though 300 is still slow it's enough to own 85% of the street racers out there. And people will be impressed that you got 300+ off a New Edge V6.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:12 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Like we have told you before, just ignore those people.

Case in point, I just picked up another V6 car even though there are plenty of decent looking GT's around here that are $1500-$4000. There isn't a challenge making a v8 fast
Old 12-16-2014, 08:07 AM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

You already own your car. It makes sense to work with what you got. But someone that does not own a mustang yet, if they came to me asking about getting a mustang without owning one at all, and wanting to make it fast I would tell them to get a GT to start out with.

Its all about the situation you are in and what you already own.
For most people a v6 can be made plenty fast and fun, for not a lot of money. A lot of autocross people I know even swear by the v6 being the better choice for that particular sport, but that's all about handling and weight not power numbers. You could even have a fast v6 built that would be considered fast compared to a lot of things, but there is a certain point where you kill reliability and can forget about daily driving it. That's the point where the extra money spent on the v8 comes in. They can take more power reliably and still be daily driven. BUT you are going to pay for that extra perk. V6's are decent cars and if you own one by all means mod the heck out of it, but if its a daily driver or the only car owned then you have to stop and be realistic with your goals for it. That's what catches most people.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:10 AM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

Personally, Ive never cared whether a person has six or eight cylinders. If they have a passion for their car, that's more important in my eyes.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:22 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

If you were going to buy a car and double the horsepower, I don't understand why you would buy the trim level with the smallest engine available unless it was already turbocharged (like the new ecoboost mustangs) or supercharged.

If you just wanted a car to have some fun and add a couple mods here and there, then enjoy what you have.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:58 PM
torchred02
3rd Gear Member

if you have the money available to supercharge it go ahead and go for it man. I myself have owned by 2002 v6 since I was 17, im 26 now. in the beginning I would dump every penny I possibly could into it but nowadays I don't think ill ever be satisfied so I just stopped modding it all together.
some people don't realize the sentimental value some of us have for our cars too, I will never get rid of my car, even for a gt. work with what you got man, but don't be like a lot of kids on here too that say theyre guna do all these things and never end up doing it.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:40 PM
NYstang
MF Staff Snitch

Yup. Its funny, I hear it online, but 2 of my friends love my car (And they both have 750+rwhp cobras). I could have sold my car and bought a cobra, but then Id have a car payment, and I dont have a garage. Right now the money I put in is money I have, and no payments!
Old 12-16-2014, 06:54 PM
MCR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99GTvert
If you were going to buy a car and double the horsepower, I don't understand why you would buy the trim level with the smallest engine available unless it was already turbocharged (like the new ecoboost mustangs) or supercharged.

If you just wanted a car to have some fun and add a couple mods here and there, then enjoy what you have.
Because when I first bought the car I knew almost nothing about Mustangs and decided to get the 6 because it had low mileage at a great price. I didn't know the differences between the 6 and 8 because I didn't know jack about cars at that point in my life. But now since I have it and it only has 88,000 miles there is NO point in me spending $5000 on a 2V if I could spend 5000$ on a supercharger and roast the stock 2V...

And I hear ya torchred, trust me..unless I somehow wind up with $20,000 tomorrow to get a Coyote I might as well put money in the 6 and make monstrous numbers. Right now I'm still finishing up the exterior...getting a staggered set up and lowering springs. I'll start with simple bolt ons first and then save up for the supercharger and will probably have it by early '16
Old 12-17-2014, 01:48 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

It just boils down to your financial situation. ANd for some its just a pissing match. I don't care myself. Some will look at a guy like myself and ask what was the point of spending all that money on your car. When I could have just bought gt500. its the same principle as you mentioned just at different levels. When I bought my car brand new there was know way I was gonna pay for a new gt500. Plus my financial situation has much improved over the years which has allowed me to basically make my car damn beefy.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:43 AM
torchred02
3rd Gear Member

if you`re really serious about buying a supercharger don`t even bother buying boltons or cosmetics. save every penny for that supercharger that way youll get it sooner and they'll be no turning back

I was always saying I was gunna supercharge mine too but I chose to go your route and by the time I had my wheels, cobra r hood, boltons n crap I was already $3500 in that could've gone towards the supercharger

Last edited by torchred02; 12-17-2014 at 09:45 AM.

Quick Reply: "Just buy a GT if you're going to waste all that money"