V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

"Just buy a GT if you're going to waste all that money"

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 09:50 AM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by torchred02
if you`re really serious about buying a supercharger don`t even bother buying boltons or cosmetics. save every penny for that supercharger that way youll get it sooner and they'll be no turning back

I was always saying I was gunna supercharge mine too but I chose to go your route and by the time I had my wheels, cobra r hood, boltons n crap I was already $3500 in that could've gone towards the supercharger
But dang that's a sexy hood lol
Old 12-17-2014, 10:50 AM
torchred02
3rd Gear Member

...yea it is
Old 12-17-2014, 11:06 AM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

So... why not a GT?
Old 12-17-2014, 03:32 PM
NYstang
MF Staff Snitch

Originally Posted by SaddleUp
So... why not a GT?
I have this.... it is better Name:  DSC02086.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  67.6 KB
Old 12-17-2014, 05:40 PM
MCR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SaddleUp
So... why not a GT?
So...troll?

if you`re really serious about buying a supercharger don`t even bother buying boltons or cosmetics. save every penny for that supercharger that way youll get it sooner and they'll be no turning back

I was always saying I was gunna supercharge mine too but I chose to go your route and by the time I had my wheels, cobra r hood, boltons n crap I was already $3500 in that could've gone towards the supercharger
Good point man, but

Honestly I needed new tires anyway and springs are pretty cheap. And the exhaust is something that is a must for the supercharger anyway because the exhaust I have right now does nothing. Stock headers, stock Y Pipe just made into duals which gives nothing.

Ps: What the hell did you buy besides that nice Cobra R Hood that got your cost up to 3500$???

Last edited by MCR; 12-17-2014 at 05:45 PM.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:03 AM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MCR
So...troll?

Good point man, but

Honestly I needed new tires anyway and springs are pretty cheap. And the exhaust is something that is a must for the supercharger anyway because the exhaust I have right now does nothing. Stock headers, stock Y Pipe just made into duals which gives nothing.

Ps: What the hell did you buy besides that nice Cobra R Hood that got your cost up to 3500$???
Just looking at his sig pic I see, hood, had the hood paint matched, rims/tires, mach 1 front lip, billet gas lid, possibly tinted side markers, possibly tinted tails, window tint, dual exhaust it looks like. That stuff adds up quick.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:49 AM
torchred02
3rd Gear Member

tire n wheel combo
cobra r hood plus paint
window tint
ceramic headers
sct tuner
dual exhaust with custom h pipe
intake
intake mani spacer
new headlights plus h.i.ds
mach 1 chin n grill delete
strut n shock tower braces
rear sway bar
shocks
plus a bunch of other odds n end and in the end I still have very minimal performance gains.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:45 AM
TfcCDR
2nd Gear Member

in the end I still have very minimal performance gains.
There aren't many ways to boost performance, despite what they will tell you at Summit.

The "Performance Triangle" is power transfer (to the ground, on a car), resistance (wind and rolling), and weight (both static and dynamic). Any change which doesn't directly affect one of these will have little to no effect on performance.

There are also different kinds of performance. Radio cars and my copcycle are geared for pickup out of the hole, sacrificing top end (you can't outrun the radio). A road racer has to find the right ratio of pickup to top end for each particular course (and the pros carry a bunch of spare rear ends so that they can swap them out to fit each course). In both cases, steering is also vital, while a funny car just needs to go straight and a stocker just needs to make left turns ("They're making a left turn! They're making another left turn!")

Your Mustang is a street car, designed for the Sales Department with a lot of input from the Legal Department, but the most important factor is the POLICE Department! You can only accelerate so quickly or go so fast without getting into trouble. The real shine to a Mustang is HANDLING, and the V6 handles better than the V8.

You've spent a lot of money getting your car to look pretty damn nice. That's money better spent than on a turbo that won't really do you any good. The only thing I would kick about is that I don't see "really good tires" on your list.

BTW, I've just joined the ranks of Mustang owners myself, after driving the Q car a few times. A couple of days ago I bought a 2000 V6 convertible just like the Q, and it's in the shop today getting new tires and the commo and special effects added to it. My excuse is that sometimes another Q car is handy, and this one is a twin to the one we already had, but the real reason is that I wanted another Mustang, and hunted around until I found this one at a price I was willing to pay.

I PASSED BY a 2002 V8 at the same price to get this one, after comparing the two of them on the cone course. The V6 is just more agile than the V8.

Last edited by TfcCDR; 12-18-2014 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:00 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TfcCDR

There aren't many ways to boost performance, despite what they will tell you at Summit.
Huh? There are ALOT of ways to boost performance from these cars, like you said yourself performance isn't just HP gains.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:20 PM
TfcCDR
2nd Gear Member

There really aren't. You can increase power transfer, decrease resistance and/or lighten ship. That's it.

And the changes have to be pretty major to have any noticeable effect. It's one thing to be trying to shave tenths of a second (where the amount and type of grease in the wheel bearings might make a difference), another to be dealing with a daily driver.

Quick Reply: "Just buy a GT if you're going to waste all that money"