V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

"Just buy a GT if you're going to waste all that money"

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 01:42 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TfcCDR
There really aren't. You can increase power transfer, decrease resistance and/or lighten ship. That's it.

And the changes have to be pretty major to have any noticeable effect. It's one thing to be trying to shave tenths of a second (where the amount and type of grease in the wheel bearings might make a difference), another to be dealing with a daily driver.
You are forgetting. Chassis flex, caster/camber, weight transfer, power band...
Old 12-18-2014, 07:18 PM
TfcCDR
2nd Gear Member

The things you're mentioning are primarily handling issues, not so much performance issues, and to the extent that they ARE performance issues, they fit into the Triangle.

Chassis flex = power transfer
Caster/camber = resistance
Weight transfer = power transfer
Power band = power transfer
Old 12-18-2014, 07:26 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Chassis flex is not just power transfer, taking a turn at high speed flexes the chassis much more than toque flex.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:57 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

The things you're mentioning are primarily handling issues, not so much performance issues, and to the extent that they ARE performance issues, they fit into the Triangle.

Chassis flex = power transfer
Caster/camber = resistance
Weight transfer = power transfer
Power band = power transfer
BTW, I've just joined the ranks of Mustang owners myself,. A couple of days ago I bought a 2000 V6 convertible
Your very first post on this board is asking where you could buy a stock mustang hood, you just got your first mustang a couple of days ago and now you know everything there is to know about this chassis. GTFO
Old 12-18-2014, 11:02 PM
TfcCDR
2nd Gear Member

Sorry to offend your tender sensibilities, but until this week the Mustang that I was asking about was an unmarked traffic enforcement car. I liked it so much I bought my own, as I mentioned in the post you took one line from. It's a twin of our Q car, now including lights, radios, dashcam, etc., because that way I can claim it partially as a work-related expense.

Dunno how long you've been around performance cars. I started with them in the late 1960s, in Southern California. One of my neighbors when I was a kid was a professional race driver who taught the neighborhood kids about the science of racing, using us as sounding boards for a school that he was setting up (he figured that if 11-year-olds understood it, he could reach just about anybody). Since I would probably have noticed if the laws of physics had changed, I have to assume that what he taught me then still applies. And it applies to a late-model Mustang as much as it applies to any other performance car, including the Shelbys and Corvettes that my neighbor was racing 50 years ago.

I also have to claim a certain amount of qualification due to a few decades that I've spent as a traffic cop, including teaching pursuit driving. Even though most of that time has been on motors, I've seen enough performance cars (and would-be performance cars and drivers) to have a pretty good understanding of the subject.

I'm also kind of opinionated. I figure I've kind of earned the right.

So I guess I won't be "GTFO" after all. Live with it. Or not. Your choice.

Last edited by TfcCDR; 12-18-2014 at 11:04 PM.
Old 12-19-2014, 06:28 AM
MCR
2nd Gear Member

Having gears (3.73 or 4.10), with a GT rear end, and a tune really helps the car. I can probably hit mid 15's or low 15's with it. Not bad for less than $1000

Or I can spend near 1000$ and go nitrous. The 6 can hold a 100 shot...especially when it's already tuned

Personally, I am going to the forced induction route....nitrous with SC in the future if I really wanted to go forged
Old 12-19-2014, 09:27 PM
Tele-Caster

Originally Posted by BabyGT
Chassis flex is not just power transfer, taking a turn at high speed flexes the chassis much more than toque flex.
That's not necessarily true, for a host of reasons that begin with tires generally not having the same lateral grip capability as their linear grip potential, and move on from there to a host of other things that come in to play in a suspension to mitigate the effect of lack of chassis torsional rigidity in cornering that absolutely don't come in to play under hard straight-line accleration.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:46 PM
Tele-Caster

Originally Posted by MCR
Okay this is money's game. If you have the most money you'll probably have the superior car. This is well known. Now when someone asks a question about to how make their V6 quicker you'll get the same answer, "Why waste all that money? Buy a GT"
"Quicker" is relative. A car that's quick down 1320' of straight drag strip isn't necessarily the quickest around the twists and turns of a road-racing course.

I'm on my thrid Mustang. I had a '66 GT and a '92 5.0 LX previously. I was in to Mustangs then, as now, as sports cars rather than drag racers or "muscle cars." From that perspective, a 190 hp / 220 ft/lb Mustang weighing 3150 pounds is on par with something like a Porsche 944 or Gen 1 Nissan 300 ZX, and trumps them in the power to weight department. To me, a V6 New Edge feels like more of a sports car than the V8 ones do, because I think the transient response is better -making them feel more "toassable" or "lighter on their feet" to me. Stock for stock, a base V6 is also less prone to being unsettled by bumpy pavement in turns, rides better over every kind of pavement, and is less prone to rapid transition from mild understeer to end-swapping oversteer.

It might not be much of a "muscle car" but I think it can be a very good sports car with some minor tweeking of suspension and the fitment of decent rubber.

Of all the cars I've owned in the past prior to my V6 New Edge, my two favorites were a Porsche 924S and a '92 5.0 Mustang and to me, a perfect sports car would blend what I liked about both of them in to one car. Even in stock form, my V6 New Edge seemed to do that. I think it'll fully succeed when I get everything done to it, mod-wise, that I want doing.

Also just to let you guys know most people who actually want to "Street race" (I don't, it's pretty stupid) pales in comparison to a 300 RWHP.
I'm not in to street racing and never have been. I could care less if some kid in a riced-out Civic can accelerate away from a controlled interesection faster than I can, or if someone in a newer V8 Mustang could. It matters not to me.

What I do care about is a car that I can drive to a road-race course or autocross event, run on the track, post class-competitive times in, and drive home again. Or a car that make quick time on senic byways to break up the monotany of long road trips while still getting decent gas milage for the performance envelope it delivers. And with the split-port 3.8, I don't need a V8 to do that.

Being older, I've never really thought of Mustangs as "muscle cars" the way most others do.

I'm okay with the notion that my V6 Mustang sucks as a "muscle car." It definitely doesn't suck as a sports car. I expect to turn in autocross and road course times that are just as class competitive in my V6 Mustang and I achieved in my Porsche 924S.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:56 PM
TfcCDR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BabyGT
What I meant was that the effect of chassis flex is a power transfer change. Likewise torque flex. For that matter, so does tire sidewall flex.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:03 PM
TfcCDR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tele-Caster
Being older, I've never really thought of Mustangs as "muscle cars" the way most others do.
This probably stems from having the '66. Back before they bloated up the Mustang, it WASN'T a muscle car unless it was modified.

Quick Reply: "Just buy a GT if you're going to waste all that money"