V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Won't Start Suddenly - Starter Fluid Won't Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 04:16 PM
bradlee85

Exclamation Won't Start Suddenly - Starter Fluid Won't Help

I have been having issues starting my ‘02 Mustang 3.8L V6, and I'll run through what has occurred at this point.

1) Car was just under 100,000 miles and started having issues not starting at times (not much correlation to hot or cold starts) –Starting fluid became a necessary travel buddy, but also found fuel pressure was low and changed fuel filter, then changed the fuel pump, did most of the 100,000 maintenance (new spark plugs and serpentine belt) and ran a few cycles of Lucas injector and system cleaner.

2) Car still had issues starting, but ran a bit better until it started dying intermittently when idling at stop lights and such – began ensuring I was revving engine to about 1000 rpms at all times and got my battery checked when I had the chance. Alternator was good, but had to change the battery (done).

3) Starting issues still lingered, but the car was now driving without issue once started. (Every now and again, the car would make strange noises while cranking-rough sounding) – After work yesterday, car would not start with starter fluid or any other measure. Checked the spark plug wires plug side and crank side and couldn’t get a spark.

I’m not a gearhead by any means, but do you have suggestions on what to do next?
Quick searches through forums made me think anything from crank sensor or coils to sensors or ECU.

Thank you for any suggestions!
-Brad
Old 12-17-2014, 04:22 PM
bradlee85

There are also no check engine lights or anything of that nature...

Thanks Again,
Brad
Old 12-17-2014, 10:22 PM
TfcCDR
2nd Gear Member

Check every electrical connection you can find, including under the dash and in the trunk.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:48 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

No spark at plugs points to a coilpack, plugwire, spark plugs, or crank sensor issue.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:06 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

I'd start with a compression test. Starting fluid can clean all of the oil off the cylinder walls. Using it too
often can damage an engine.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:08 AM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
No spark at plugs points to a coilpack, plugwire, spark plugs, or crank sensor issue.
Agreed, check all wires for spark, if nothing there, make sure power is getting to the coil pack, if a few plugs are getting spark then its most likely the coil pack going out, if none are then its something before the coil pack.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:09 AM
TfcCDR
2nd Gear Member

It could be anything from an antitheft spark cutoff to a loose connector in the ECM. Since connectors are far and away the most common electrical problem, checking them is a good idea, especially on a car bought used (where you have no idea what former owners might have installed, removed, or halfway-fixed).

We had a problem with our Q car, and while troubleshooting discovered an itty-bitty toggle switch and a momentary button under the dash. These were unrelated to the problem, but last I heard, nobody has taken the time yet to trace them back to find out what they do (if anything).
Old 12-18-2014, 12:15 PM
cema93
2nd Gear Member

If starting fluid isnt working then it is not a fuel issue. U just told us that u werent getting a spark. go from there. get a spark by fixing the source and see if itll start. if not then it is compression
Old 12-18-2014, 03:40 PM
bradlee85

This is my first post to Mustang Forums, and I'm very impressed by everyone's willingness and desire to help! I'll hopefully get some time to work on her this evening, but I will certainly keep the thread updated.
Thanks All,
Brad
Old 12-18-2014, 04:40 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

Is there spark or not...I got lost.

id check the IAC...make sure its ok and no debris in it. Clean it out good.

Quick Reply: Won't Start Suddenly - Starter Fluid Won't Help