V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Exhaust Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 09:37 PM
Matthew954
1st Gear Member

Default Exhaust Upgrades

I'm saving up for some exhaust upgrades on my 04 3.9 V6. The plan so far is to go with a custom exhaust system, as it seems to be a bit cheaper than to go with a prebuilt system. When it comes down to it, I want my car to be a nice cruiser that looks and runs great. Heres what I've come up with so far:

Flowmaster Super 44 muffler X2
SLP High Flow Cats

Now my question is that I would like to go with new headers. Being a custom exhaust system would it be better to have it all done at the same time, or could the headers potentially wait. The headers I'm looking at are more expensive than the other parts combined. I'm looking at the MAC long tube headers at American Muscle. Are the headers something that can be added later?
Old 01-06-2015, 11:17 PM
TfcCDR
2nd Gear Member

You're probably going to have to do the whole job at one time (and this would be cheaper and easier anyhow), because the manifolds probably connect to the exhaust in a completely different location than the headers will.

You might want to check wrecking yards, they may have a complete system for a lot less than new.

If you're in the Pittsburgh area, there's a HUGE show and shine pretty regularly held at a church (yes a CHURCH) up north of the city (I forget which town it's in). I wouldn't be surprised if one of the guys there has what you need.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:46 AM
AMAlexLazarus
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matthew954
I'm saving up for some exhaust upgrades on my 04 3.9 V6. The plan so far is to go with a custom exhaust system, as it seems to be a bit cheaper than to go with a prebuilt system. When it comes down to it, I want my car to be a nice cruiser that looks and runs great. Heres what I've come up with so far:

Flowmaster Super 44 muffler X2
SLP High Flow Cats

Now my question is that I would like to go with new headers. Being a custom exhaust system would it be better to have it all done at the same time, or could the headers potentially wait. The headers I'm looking at are more expensive than the other parts combined. I'm looking at the MAC long tube headers at American Muscle. Are the headers something that can be added later?
Originally Posted by TfcCDR
You're probably going to have to do the whole job at one time (and this would be cheaper and easier anyhow), because the manifolds probably connect to the exhaust in a completely different location than the headers will.

You might want to check wrecking yards, they may have a complete system for a lot less than new.

If you're in the Pittsburgh area, there's a HUGE show and shine pretty regularly held at a church (yes a CHURCH) up north of the city (I forget which town it's in). I wouldn't be surprised if one of the guys there has what you need.

Hey Matt - Welcome! That's a good question and like Tfc had said I would recommend doing everything at once as well as it's likely going to be much less of a headache. Once you have everything I would get with an exhaust shop to see what's going to be needed to have everything installed as well! Let us know if you have any other questions and we're here to help!

Alex
Old 01-07-2015, 10:57 AM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Another option, which is considerably cheaper, and flows pretty well, are the stock headers from a 94-98 v6, for some reason they went from factory headers to inefficient manifolds in 99+. Its a bolt on affair and can safe you a lot of money to put towards the rest of the exhaust, it will also allow you to have a shop make a manifold back system right now, then go back and swap the 94-98 headers in as it will bolt into the same place as the factory new edge manifolds.
Old 01-07-2015, 03:40 PM
Matthew954
1st Gear Member

In the long run would it be cheaper to get the various parts, mufflers, cats, headers, etc. Or would it be cheaper in the long run to buy a catback exhaust system. To be honest, I've been drooling over the Flowmaster Force 2 system for the New Edge Stangs. I found the kit over at American Muscle, but it doesn't look like it includes the cats. Just the mufflers and pipes.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:48 PM
Mobiusone stang
2nd Gear Member

Alright so the force 2 is about 460ish dollars. 2 flowmaster 44 are 160, plus the cats (Latemodel sells flowmaster cats for 120 so I'll use those just for the sake of things). Now this is where it all hinges is basically finding a shop to put everything together for you (unless your able to do it yourself) In my town there is a really respected guy who does great work. He charges normal price, but he is so good he does it in half the time. So for a complete custom exhaust (from cat back) he charged about 140 (i provided the mufflers). So say some charges you 150 because you brought your own things. Even if they charge you more, and they probably will, your roughly cutting it even at about 460 total. But by piecing it together you get to change out the cats as well for the same price. This is just from my own experience, and by no means will yours be the same. I'm not sure if you will put it in yourself (that'll save money) or what cats you really want. But I will tell you I had the flowmaster 44's with stock headers and cats, and it sounded really good. You won't regret that choice
Old 01-07-2015, 10:35 PM
Matthew954
1st Gear Member

Well, I'll definitely say the Flowmaster cats at Latemodel look very enticing. Both from a cost and brand perspective. The cats I have on my build list at AM are the SLP High Flow cats, and normally run about $219. $139 at Latemodel sounds better, plus I can say I have a custom Flowmaster system. But as far as the headers are concerned. I actually can't really bring myself to spend that much. When it comes down to it, I look at my car and just really want a comfortable cruiser. The problem is my coworker had recently bought an 06 V6, and is making a "GT Killer" as he calls it. He keeps telling me the parts he's getting for his car, and always gets me thinking that I may want to get something similar for mine.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:59 PM
Mobiusone stang
2nd Gear Member

The thing you have to remember is your going to build the car you want, not what your coworker wants. And it dosn't help, because I think most of us car guys always get a little envious of what others have. But, you have gotta love what you have and make it what you want you say you want a comfortable cruiser. I can tell you hands down that the super 44s and the whole system is excellent for a comfortable cruiser. It has a nice rumble sound all throughout the rev range, but very docile at highway cruising speeds. I traveled back and forth to college all the time, and never was once upset about them.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:27 AM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

Do it all at once, AM or LMR or other site sponsors will be able to help you with parts. I would also go ahead and get new gaskets/studs for the long tubes as well as new motorcraft front 02 sensors. I had mac long tubes and a catted H pipe with a force pro series catback and was very happy with it
Old 01-08-2015, 07:35 AM
Matthew954
1st Gear Member

Yes, I've been getting very envious of my coworkers car. Though even with his car, I do draw the line at the supercharger lol. An engine upgrade that costs about $1000 more than my whole car lol! Who am I kidding, I know I'll break down and get the headers too. Income tax time is just around the corner lol. Though the money should REALLY go to the car payment itself lol.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Upgrades