V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Heater Core Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 05:21 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Find the leak and go from there. Normally a leaking heater core ends up in the passenger compartment. It could be as simple as a split or hole in a hose or a loose clamp.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:51 PM
TfcCDR
2nd Gear Member

If the heater core is leaking, you will smell coolant (assuming you're not running just water in your radiator).
Old 01-16-2015, 09:14 AM
Villiska
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TfcCDR
If the heater core is leaking, you will smell coolant (assuming you're not running just water in your radiator).
There is no coolant found on the passenger side floor, no smell in the car and no condensation on the windshield. Would this point to it being the water pump?
Old 01-16-2015, 09:27 AM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

No, because turning the heat on when a vehicle is having overheating issues can actually help you limp home due to the heater core acting as a second radiator. I'd still suspect air in the system or a leak somewhere you can't find, possibly internal.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:34 AM
Villiska
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BabyGT
No, because turning the heat on when a vehicle is having overheating issues can actually help you limp home due to the heater core acting as a second radiator. I'd still suspect air in the system or a leak somewhere you can't find, possibly internal.
I should have knocked on wood man. I drove my car today and it's roughly 55 degrees for whatever reason today, so I didn't touch my ***** at all and she overheated on me after a somewhat rougher drive (highway annoyances) and within 15 minutes of the drive she was begging me to pull her over.

I'm really hoping this is just the water pump because I can pick up the part now from Nappa and get it changed today.

Can anyone please help me with this and tell me of a water pump replacement would be logical?
Old 01-16-2015, 11:01 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

its either that or the head gasket. if its the pump there should be signs on the bottom of a small coolant leak.

If its a head gasket then the coolant is either in the oil or cylinders.

easiest way to check head gasket is run the car for a bit then turn the engine over by hand slowly and listen for the radiator to depressurize.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:16 AM
Villiska
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
its either that or the head gasket. if its the pump there should be signs on the bottom of a small coolant leak.

If its a head gasket then the coolant is either in the oil or cylinders.

easiest way to check head gasket is run the car for a bit then turn the engine over by hand slowly and listen for the radiator to depressurize.
I haven't seen any coolant or anything but perfectly clean oil in my car after every change since I've bought her so I'm really, really hoping it's not that. As for the coolant leak, I do see stains under my car where I park it over night, so there is a coolant leak.

I just don't want to go and buy the pump and have it do me no good. If I go down the path of the water pump replacement, I'll also flush the coolant system and burp the system or whatever. I haven't done that once since I've owned the car and that was back in November 2013 and about 15k has been put on her since.

Gosh, this car has a new problem every week. It's really giving me a run for my money. I think she knows I'm selling her soon and she's misbehaving...
Old 01-16-2015, 12:35 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

sounds like a water pump issue if there is coolant on the ground. I would try to pinpoint the leak first though.

If you can, put the car on jack stands and crawl underneath with a light while its running. if you dont see anything have someone shut off the car while you are still under it. this should present the leak.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:44 PM
Villiska
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
sounds like a water pump issue if there is coolant on the ground. I would try to pinpoint the leak first though.

If you can, put the car on jack stands and crawl underneath with a light while its running. if you dont see anything have someone shut off the car while you are still under it. this should present the leak.
Thank you. I actually checked my coolant which is something I should have done immediately and it was completely empty in the back fill reservoir. I filled her up and picked up my lunch and there was no sign of overheating.

I'm going to make sure she's filled to the correct level and drive her to my friend's house then back home which is about 3x the amount of driving I did this morning, and see how she handles it.

We might be back at the issue of a coolant leak + overheating issue when using the *****, and I was simply low on coolant. That probably brings us back to the idea of it being the heater core.

I don't know. I'm just praying this car gets me through these 6 months with as little expenses as possible. Really stressful having a new issue arise less than 2 weeks after each repair. It just doesn't stop.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:51 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Villiska
Do you think that pain in the butt is worth dealing with if I plan to sell the car within 6 months? I can survive 2-3 more months of winter since I dress warm for work anyway, and the Summer is a breeze for me.

I just don't know if there's any other issues that may come into play within that time frame outside of using my HVAC *****. As long as I don't touch those, I should be fine right?
Depending on your moral compass, if you leave it, at least tell the new owner about it. It will negatively affect the price you sell it at though. If you don't disclose it, the new owner probably won't be aware of it until the next winter. Karma is a bitch tho.

Either way, if you can deal with it as-is, deal with it. It sounds like it's under control for the time being. If you don't want to fix it and to be certain you are ok, disconnect the heater core lines from the firewall and connect the hoses to each other so that you close the loop and remove the heater core from the equation. Test out the repair by moving the HVAC settings around. You should not get anymore overheating or lost fluid.

Quick Reply: Heater Core Issue?