V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Audio system for convertible

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 02:16 AM
MrCHR

Default Audio system for convertible

Hello everyone!
I have a good friend who got himself 04 Mustang convertible and very exited about it. He has a birthday coming soon and me and another several friends are thinking to get for him a new kit to replace his existing stereo and speakers. The problem is that none of us has similar car and any knowledge about car audio specs.
So I would appreciate if anyone here could help us to select the right components that will fit nicely to this model.
We would like to get him a new double-din head unit + set of speakers + amplifier (if the budget would allow)
So here are several questions that I have:
1. How many speakers this car has and what are their sizes?
2. Are there any specific requirements for this model that we need to know when choosing the equipment?
3. What are the advised speaker/amp/deck specs that we need to look for? For instance, what is the sufficient RMS? Or what audio specs the deck should have?
4. I heard that in some cases the wiring is replaced as well, is it true here? or he will be able to connect the new speakers on the existing wiring?
5. I've seen some amps that have 5 channels. Is it a good option in case he will want to add a sub in the future or should we go with regular 4 channel amp?

Our budget is not fixed and the goal is to get for him a good system but in a reasonable ranges. I would appreciate if you guys can offer some models that might be decent.

Thank you in advance!

Also, in case it is needed, his current head unit looks like this:
Old 02-03-2015, 01:30 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Does he have tweeters on the doors near mirrors that say mach 460? Also is that an aux behind the shifter where the button for trac control goes? If so I wouldn't mess with it. A proper setup to replace his system if he does have a mach system is quite an involved process due to the factory amps you have to deal with. You will need to pull the interior and run all new wires to every speaker if you are replacing the speakers and the head unit, if replacing just the head unit you will need to purchase the extra harness adapter to wire into the factory amps, there's a few write ups in here on that.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:56 PM
MrCHR

Hi, thank you for your reply. The picture that I put, I found it online so it just resembles whatever he has. As far as I remember he doesn't have AUX there and no MACH logos. Although, I think there are some sort of tweeters at the front. Also the sound in the car is terrible so I'm pretty sure it is the basic setup.

Unfortunately, I cannot check it now since the car is in the garage for the winter and I don't want to tell him what we are planning to get.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:51 AM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Ah well you really need to know what exactly is in the specific car you are working on. That makes a BIG difference. If its the mach setup, there's a lot of extra wiring to do.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:11 PM
KrazyKen

Check Crutchfield's website, they have some good information covering the different audio trims of our Mustangs and can recommend a good system based on your budget. Be sure to read the articles that cover the factory system and replacing components.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:47 PM
MrCHR

okay I managed to find out that his system has a MACH logo on it, so I guess it makes it more complicated.

Now, from what I understand he will have to re-wire the whole system. Is it possible to do for someone who never did it before or he will need a professional help? Also, is there a good guide on re-wiring the system in Mustang convertible?

I read the articles on Crutchfield but I'm still lost in figuring out which components are best suitable. There are too many possible combinations. For instance, the car has 2 tweeters + 2 front + 2 rear speakers, but most of amps support only 4 channels, so how I can connect them?

P.S. I am newb in this but I want to learn more about audio configuration. Later I am planning to do an upgrade in my car as well so it serves two purposes in this case.
Old 02-07-2015, 04:26 PM
KrazyKen

Best way to start with an audio installation is deciding which components you want. Unfortunately, this is usually a personal preference and what sounds good to me may not sound good to you. Otherwise, you can always just stick with a favorite big name brand. You usually cant go wrong with the tried and true name brands.

Wiring a system with aftermarket components is pretty standard. A lot of the wiring will depend on what type of head unit you select and running the wires through the car will be your biggest obstacle. You may be able to use the existing wiring in the Mach system, but I am unsure. Maybe someone else who is more familiar with this system can chime in and offer some advice.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:36 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

If this is a vert there are actually 2 speakers on each side in the rear for a total of 4 up front and 4 in the rear, that's including tweeters, to run tweeters and mids you will need to run one mid and one tweeter on each side together using a crossover, that will technically make them run as one so a 4 channel amp will still work for this.

Stereo installs are not particularly hard if you have any electrical experience, but s**t can go bad in a hurry if you are unsure of yourself.

If this was your personal vehicle I'd be all for suggesting you do it yourself and helping as much as I could, being its a friends car on the other hand, I'd recommend professional install, you don't want to surprise your friend with surprise I trashed your stereo system and wiring harness!

Its not just a matter of dealing with the stereo components when it comes to a complete system in a mach system. You can't just tie into the factory wiring for speakers, it runs through factory amps which you must bypass, this means pulling a whole lot of the interior to run new wires and make it look nice, as well as finding a decent place to hide the new amp, which is lacking in a vert without pulling some stuff out.
Old 02-08-2015, 03:07 AM
TfcCDR
2nd Gear Member

You're better off running new wiring anyhow. The factory stuff is as cheap as they could get away with, and won't handle heavy current without a lot of loss. I'm not sure about the 2004, but on the 2000 there's room under the plastic door runners to run wiring.

Depending on the size of the amp, it might fit under the front passenger seat. Failing that, look for a pass-through from the trunk. On the 2000, there is an open pass-through from the trunk behind the rear seat (on the left side) which can be used putting the amp in the trunk.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:37 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Replacing all the wiring is the easiest thing to do, it allows you to return the car to factory and will yield the best sound. The Mach symbol means it has Fords premium Mach 460 audio system, so in this instance its definitely better to just run new wires due to the odd OHM loads Ford placed on the system.

The car has 4 speakers, two in the doors and two in the back seat near the indention for an "arm rest" so to speak. Be careful pulling the rear speaker panels off as if you break the tabs you will need to get new covers.

The car comes with 4 5" X 7" speakers and 2 tweeters up front mounting in the doors behind the side mirror covers.

As far as upgrading I'd go with 6" X 8" speakers they will still mount in the 5" X 7" openings, but do have better sound. Some people do three way, some do two way, this is up to you, but the best sound generally comes by running 2 ways with tweeters. The best sound will come from components, but those will require modification to make fit.

As far as an amp goes, this depends how you wire the system. You could do a two channel amp and wire the left side on one channel and the right on the other. Or you could do a 4 channel amp and wire each speaker to it's own channel. Or you could just power the speakers off the radio, but this option will yield the lowest power and sound. Make sure you get speakers that match the power and ohm loads of the amp.

Subs are a completely different animal and the convertible will require a special sub box due to the tight fit in the trunk.

Quick Reply: Audio system for convertible