V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Coolant Leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 01:52 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

If I remember correctly, the RTV was only needed in the corners in the front. you should be fine, but let it sit for as long as you can.

I believe thats all you need besides the normal tools. The lower gaskets should come with instructions on how to install.

oh, mark where the intake bolts come from, some are long and some are short. it should be obvious but mark anyway.
Old 02-06-2015, 02:09 PM
Villiska
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
If I remember correctly, the RTV was only needed in the corners in the front. you should be fine, but let it sit for as long as you can.

I believe thats all you need besides the normal tools. The lower gaskets should come with instructions on how to install.

oh, mark where the intake bolts come from, some are long and some are short. it should be obvious but mark anyway.
Thank you so much for all of your help. One last question and I promise to leave you alone!

Would it make sense that my warm idle problems could be coming from this leaking intake gasket? If I start my car cold in the morning, she starts fine, but if I drive her until she's up to operating temperatures and then turn the car off, wait 2 minutes and restart her, she'll have a terrible idle almost like she's running on bad gas. I'll also get a bit of white smoke coming out of my exhaust on the same side of the leak (drivers side exhaust)

Would it make sense that the coolant is leaking into something and causing it to flood something and drown the motor or something? That's almost how it feels. This all started when I topped the oil off too much by about a quart and drove her to work (when the idle issue started).

I also notice RPM fluctuations when I go from driving to stopping at a light, it'll go down to 500 RPM's or so and then go right back up to where it's supposed to be and be fine.

If this gasket replacement fixes my coolant leak AND my idle problems, I almost feel confident to just keep the car awhile longer.
Old 02-06-2015, 02:47 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

yes If you are getting coolant into you cylinders it will idle badly and smoke.

You may want to do a compression check on that side to verify its not a head gasket issue. This would be the time to fix that if there is a problem
Old 02-06-2015, 02:49 PM
Villiska
1st Gear Member

yes If you are getting coolant into you cylinders it will idle badly and smoke.

You may want to do a compression check on that side to verify its not a head gasket issue. This would be the time to fix that if there is a problem
Thank you very much. We're going to be doing the work tonight so I'll post an update probably late tonight with the results. Praying everything goes right, I'm nervous as hell.

Seriously though, you're a miracle on a forum and I greatly appreciate the help you've given me. I hope you have a great weekend.
Old 02-06-2015, 02:55 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

N problem, that what the forums are for.

Easy way to tell if you have a head gasket leak is run the motor for a little bit, then immediatly pull the spark plugs on that side and listen for the radiator to depressurize.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:41 PM
Villiska
1st Gear Member

Still working on her right now. We definitely found the gasket leak. We aren't really sure how to approach rtving the gaskets back in. I doubt anyone will reply quick but I guess just a light coat around all of the gasket holes?
Old 02-07-2015, 10:47 AM
Villiska
1st Gear Member

We replaced it but now when we start the car it shuts off immediately when it's warmed up. We also get no hot air even after burping the system.

Friend is burping the system again and seeing if there is something not plugged in but I can't see it looking good for this car.
Old 02-07-2015, 11:19 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Sounds like something isn't plugged in for sure.

Also you won't get hot air until the engine is warmed up
Old 02-07-2015, 11:25 AM
Villiska
1st Gear Member

Sounds like something isn't plugged in for sure.

Also you won't get hot air until the engine is warmed up
We managed to get hot air now but after a long drive if we turn the car off and turn it back on it starts for a second and then dies.

My friend noticed a tube for the EGR isn't plugged in so we're waiting for the car to cool down and he's going to double check everything.

Could this cause that issue?
Old 02-07-2015, 11:59 AM
Villiska
1st Gear Member

We got everything plugged back in and took it for a drive. Tons of power and we got her nice and warm, turned her off and turned her back on and it struggled a little so it makes me think it's the EGR that's bad.

Quick Reply: Coolant Leak