V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Plasti-dip on the rims

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 03:17 PM
Matthew954
1st Gear Member

Default Plasti-dip on the rims

Being that I'm on a bit of a budget and looking to repair my rims till I can afford to replace them. I figured this might be a fairly cheap and temporary solution. After cruising around another V6 Mustang forum, I saw a guy had Plasti-Dipped his rims black. I figured it might be worth an attempt to try it myself to hide the corrosion (Its an eye sore). There is heavy corrosion on the rear Alloys and starts of moderate corrosion on the front alloys. How much prep work would be involved? And I'd like to try and get the same color as the alloys themselves. I imagine a couple of spray cans worth would likely be all that I would need.
Old 02-08-2015, 04:58 PM
Choppertwo
3rd Gear Member

Look it man, plasti dip is all right, but if youre going to do your rims, be carefull, Clean em real good, if you dont like it it Will peel right off.Remember this is pretty much a temporary paint. I think if you want it permanent, sand your wheels first and clean. Good Luck
Old 02-09-2015, 12:50 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Corrosion? Anything on the rims will more than likely come off with a good heavy duty wheel cleaner. Which is what you will want to do before painting/plastidipping anyway.
Old 02-09-2015, 03:01 PM
Matthew954
1st Gear Member

Well, the finish on my rims is pretty well eaten away.

This is the worst of the 4 rims.

Last edited by Matthew954; 02-09-2015 at 03:02 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-09-2015, 04:23 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

That's just the center cap. They are painted plastic not aluminum like the rest of the wheel. Just use some good degreaser and then hit the center caps with a coat of silver spray paint.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:37 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

Or buy new custom caps.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:56 PM
Mobiusone stang
2nd Gear Member

I support what others have said above me 100%. But, if you are sold on plasti-dip then a good look can be obtain, but effort and time must be taken seriously. The biggest tip is to first clean the wheel REALLY well. Dont skimp on this part. Heck if you have the time take the wheel off the car and clean/paint that way. If not, then make SURE you mask the wheel very well. Cut a plastic bag in half and put it behind the spokes to cover the brakes, etc. When painting, use nice even strokes. And this is the BIGGEST part... NEVER put on a heavy coat first. Always start with very very light coats, waiting about 10 min between each. But up the layers in light coats until you can no longer see the original color. At that time, put on a few heavier coats. The more coats you add, the easier the dip will be to take off. Honestly, I've heard at least 8 coats (of course the first light coats added in) should be good. You'll probably need more than a few cans. I'd say at least 1 per wheel, if not more. Also, if you used masking take... Do not take the tape off after the last coat dried. You must take the tape off while your last coat is still wet. This will prevent pealing.

If you want a good video tutorial, go over to dipyourcar.com on youtube.com. They just put up an excellent detailed how to on plastidiping your wheels. I hope this helps!
Old 02-11-2015, 07:54 AM
Matthew954
1st Gear Member

Thanks all, I think I'm also going to look at some of the local salvage yards for some Mustang parts. One nice thing about Mustangs, there are lots of them around lol. There are at least 3 that I know of. I may also be able to get something in at least better condition that what I have now.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:13 PM
Matthew954
1st Gear Member

I just saw these at LateModelRestoration.com. Would these fit my 04 Rims, they were made to fit the 91-93 rims. The size is right, but I'm not too sure if they'd snap into the wheel properly.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...ony-Center-Cap
Old 02-15-2015, 07:02 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Those are designed to fit the fox pony wheels. I don't think they will fit yours.

Jut buy two cans of silver spray paint and redo yours.

Quick Reply: Plasti-dip on the rims