V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

'99 V6 Mustang 170K miles. Worth buying?

Old 02-25-2015, 12:17 AM
Mobiusone stang
2nd Gear Member

americanmuscle.com and latemodelrestoration.com are two of the best in the business when it comes to parts. Hands down. plus forum discounts. Ive spent thousands at both sites, never a problem. Cool to see new people come into the mustang family hopefully!
Old 02-25-2015, 01:18 PM
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

cjponyparts.com is good as well
Old 02-25-2015, 10:18 PM
Mobiusone stang
2nd Gear Member

^Forgot about CJ! Their site is a little less user friendly at least IMO, but they are all really good and have competitive prices. The best part for those looking into mustangs is the aftermarket support. It has to be the best of all cars (But then again I've only ever owned mustangs so I havn't done other research ). I at least take that into consideration.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:36 PM
tyler520

Originally Posted by Mobiusone stang
^Forgot about CJ! Their site is a little less user friendly at least IMO, but they are all really good and have competitive prices. The best part for those looking into mustangs is the aftermarket support. It has to be the best of all cars (But then again I've only ever owned mustangs so I havn't done other research ). I at least take that into consideration.
I'm pumped to own my first Mustang. I've been looking at American Muscle already and the first thing I want to do is throw a beautiful Mach 1 chin spoiler on it. Ever since I saw this kid at my work buy a 2011 Dodge Charger, I've wanted to get myself something that'll chew it up on the tracks. Not only that, I've always been in love with Mustangs.

My dads friend is into cars but more of the muscle cars and old hot rods. He's building a '33 Ford from the ground up and he also owns a Chevelle (not sure of the year) and a '10 Corvette. So if I get myself a Mustang, I've got him to help with mods and repairs.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:56 PM
Mobiusone stang
2nd Gear Member

The the Mach 1 spoiler is a pretty good deal from AM! Not hard to install at all, and I thought it made my car look really good
Old 02-26-2015, 05:58 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

+1 on the Mach chin spoiler. I've had mine since it became available in Fords parts catalog back in late 2002 after the Mach 1 was released.
Old 02-27-2015, 01:46 PM
tyler520

Why must people think their Mustangs are worth $1,500+ more than KBB? I saw a standard clean '97 Mustang with 138,000 miles and they're asking $2,500 for it and KBB says with a "good condition" '97 with 138K miles is $1,200 and "very good condition" is $1,600. There were no addons or anything special to where the value of it is that much higher. Am I missing something or blind? Or do they think because of the 50th, they're worth more now?
Old 02-27-2015, 02:12 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Its because they are coming into classic/antique status. Car values follow a reverse bell curve. They start out high when new and drop until a certain age, then the value starts going back up.

Look at fox mustangs, my 91 4 cyls kbb "value" is only $600, but good luck finding one thats under $1000 anywhere anymore.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:13 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

It's called sentimental value. People always feel their stuff is worth more because it's theirs.

Going based off what the owner says the CEL light is lit for is a gamble at best. If I were the owner and I were such a cheap fix, I'd fix it. One less thing to worry about lowering the value of the vehicle to the buyer (you).

Tell her to have it fixed and you'd be happy to take the car off her hands for $1500. If she gets offended, her problem, not yours.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:26 PM
tyler520

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
Its because they are coming into classic/antique status. Car values follow a reverse bell curve. They start out high when new and drop until a certain age, then the value starts going back up.

Look at fox mustangs, my 91 4 cyls kbb "value" is only $600, but good luck finding one thats under $1000 anywhere anymore.
Yeah that's true. I didn't think of it that way.

Originally Posted by Derf00
It's called sentimental value. People always feel their stuff is worth more because it's theirs.

Going based off what the owner says the CEL light is lit for is a gamble at best. If I were the owner and I were such a cheap fix, I'd fix it. One less thing to worry about lowering the value of the vehicle to the buyer (you).

Tell her to have it fixed and you'd be happy to take the car off her hands for $1500. If she gets offended, her problem, not yours.
I see it in many cars and I'd probably do somewhat the same. But I feel like people who overprice their cars are just asking for it to sit on the market for a long time until you get someone who's willing to pay out the *** for something that's really valued at something else.

Also, I don't know if I'm going to look at it quite yet. But I'm going to bring KBB papers and whatnot and the price to buy and repair the part that's causing the CEL. That questions me as well.. if it's such a cheap fix, why doesn't she do it to protect the amount of people it throws off when looking at the ad?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '99 V6 Mustang 170K miles. Worth buying?