V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

mustang questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 07:00 PM
xdoboi

Default mustang questions

Hey guys i'm new here and am pondering the idea of getting a v6 mustang, the reason being, i've always liked straying away from stereotypes. So i'd like to build up a v6. I've already done a little homework on them. Not too shabby if you can put some work into them. What i really want is upwards of 350hp with forced induction, i'm open to all types. One real question i have is exhaust, i've done a little homework and it's not connecting. So do catback from GTs and Cobras work? Because i really like the sound of the Borla Ataks. i would be open to a full engine rebuild. I also don't Want to leave out handling, but i assume they are the same as GT so i won't have a problem figuring that out. Any info and performance ideas appreciated.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:29 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

In doing homework you should have also discovered that pushing a 3.8L Essex V6 to those power levels is going to require A LOT of money.

You would use a V6 dual mid pipe, then attach any GT catback system you want. Not all Cobra cat backs are compatible as the 03/04 Cobras used IRS rear ends, which ran the exhaust under, not over, the rear axle.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:30 AM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

That's a really, really, really, really, expensive build to get to those numbers, and yes Wil require a full tear down and replace internals with stron her components, a lot of people come on here with grand plans for building a v6 to gt+ levels because they could not or did not want to spend the money on the v8 to begin with only to find out that it's going to cost them even more to build the v6 to anywhere near the same power.

If that's the reason do a bit more financial research, if not we'll then,

I recommend a full tear down and build up, you can get a supercharger kit for around 5 grand, which is pretty cheap but most kits are built around a stock motor and lower horespower, you are going to want to do a custom turbo setup to make big numbers, that will require full custom exhaust, and will require you to find a good shop with a dyno to dyno tune for you, that's going to cost you by the hour, and it's prolly gonna take weeks to get just right.

Have the rear end replaced with an 8.8 and have that re geared, if it's auto you will want to build up the trans.

Also will need to redo the fuel system, you will need a good pump, much larger injectors, different plugs, better coil, an ignition box.

You are also going to need a few more gauges, or an in dash lcd race pack to monitor all the engine specs on a constant basis, asas well as watching for boost spikes and other new things you will need to watch out for.

Be prepared to run at least premium pump gas from now on as well.

Need to make sure your cooling system is up to par as well. Will need a better radiator at the very least assuming you are going to run a front mount intercooler being as there really isn't anywhere else to mount one.

Last edited by BabyGT; 03-19-2015 at 07:33 AM.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:08 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Although building the six up will be pricey, I am finding out it isnt as pricey as what most think. As I am looking to boost my 96 using a t-bird sc engine, I have found that the SC guys have already figured out how to get high numbers relatively cheap. We just need to open our minds to the realm of "non mustang" parts morte than we already have with these cars.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:13 AM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Yeah but 350+ isn't happening with a t bird setup
Old 03-19-2015, 09:25 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

not a stock one. But those guys are running some pretty high numbers without breaking the bank and on a singleport at that.
Old 03-21-2015, 04:03 AM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

If you want a great V6 turbo just find a wreck 86 or so Buick GN and take the engine ...*ducks*