V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

New member. Want to install fog lights.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 01:48 AM
Javier18

Default New member. Want to install fog lights.

I want to install fog lights on my mustang but it didn't come equipped with them. So I don't know if my mustang came installed with the wiring harness needed or if I need to buy everything new. I have a base model 2002 convertible.
Old 03-20-2015, 06:57 AM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Most of the wiring is there, including the plug for the button behind the stereo trim. Just gotta snag the rest of the under bumper harness from a gt, or run your own wires.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:55 PM
Javier18

Originally Posted by BabyGT
Most of the wiring is there, including the plug for the button behind the stereo trim. Just gotta snag the rest of the under bumper harness from a gt, or run your own wires.
I've taken the middle console apart and the cap has wires connected to it but I'm not sure where those wires run too or if they are indeed fog lights wires.
Old 03-21-2015, 03:21 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Yes that's the fog light switch wiring, I have a factory switch installed cause it got it for cheap but I still don't have the lights lol. It is the button furthest to the right on the panel. Left is rear defrost, middle is traction control ( if equipped ), And right is fog lights.
Old 03-21-2015, 05:41 PM
Javier18

Originally Posted by BabyGT
Yes that's the fog light switch wiring, I have a factory switch installed cause it got it for cheap but I still don't have the lights lol. It is the button furthest to the right on the panel. Left is rear defrost, middle is traction control ( if equipped ), And right is fog lights.
So all I have to do is get a button and wiring harness from a junk yard and buy some lights? I still don't know where the wires connect lead too.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:28 AM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

I havent fiddled with the under bumper part yet but I assure you its plug and play.
Old 03-22-2015, 05:40 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

I did a write up to install fogs in a six on another par I will see if I can find it.

It's quite simple actually.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:58 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Here it is
Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
All I could find was the instructions, but they are pretty detailed. . I bought a kit that included the relay, fuse and and wiring.

WIRING IN THE ENGINE BAY
Yellow wire is ground, can be grounded to a body bolt
Red wire with a fuse holder is +12v to be hooked up to battery side of fuse box
Long black wire runs into passenger compartment to be connected to switch
Two long red wires go to left and right foglights
Two short black wires connect to each foglight and a nearby body bolt for ground

WIRING IN THE PASSENGER COMPARTMENT
The long black wire need to go from the engine bay through a small hole in the firewall into the passenger compartment.
On automatics, the hole in the firewall is about a foot above where the steering column goes through the firewall, it will have a small rubber plug blocking it, put another hole in the plug and run the wire through.
On 5 speeds, you will have to run the black wire through an existing grommet.

You will need to remove the bucket under the armrest, pull up the two front rubber tabs and underneath there will be two screws, remove them, you can then pull the bucket out, its in there tight so pull hard. You will need to remove the cup holders or ashtray, which is next to the parking brake, it pops right out. You will need to remove the black insert(coin slot) where the fog light switch goes, by pushing up from underneath and prying with a screwdriver(wrapped in a rag to prevent damage) it will come out.
Once you have the bucket out you will see two sockets, the gray socket is for the foglights. On the gray socket peel back the black plastic on the wires, tap into the white wire with black stripe using a tap, put the black wire with a female spade connector onto the tap. Pull the switch socket through the foglight swith hole, plug sockeet into foglight switch.
Put everything back together.

The foglights switch will work when the parking lights or headlights are on.
Polarity doesnt matter when hooking up the power wires to the fog lights.

Red wire with fuse goes to battery cable bolt to fusse box.
small yellow wire goes to fender bolt as ground
thicker yellow wire splits into two red wires, one to each foglight
black wire(with blue paint on it) goes to passenger compartment

I dont have a pic of the inside wiring, but its pretty easy if you use one of those clamp splices to tie the wires together and follow the instructions.

This only works for the 99-00 cars and maybe the 96-98 cars. The 01-04 cars have a different switch that is part of the dash. However, you could just tie the black wire into the parking lamps power wire instead.

Last edited by PNYXPRESS; 03-22-2015 at 07:08 PM.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:23 PM
ManStang

Great responses! I had the same question, thanks PnyXpress!!!