V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Only cranks in neutral

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 01:30 PM
bossladyark

Default Only cranks in neutral

My daughters 2001 mustang was towed (while locked up) now it only cranks in neutral. Did tow driver mess something up ?
Old 03-24-2015, 02:34 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Sounds like he towed it in park, not sure what that would mess up electric though. Does it still run/drive fine? That answer will help narrow down possible issues.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:32 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Could possibly be the sensor that tell the car it's in park has been broke. It's a safety thing and since the sensor isn't registering then the car won't start in park.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:28 AM
TfcCDR
2nd Gear Member

Does it run and drive okay once it cranks? If so, it's probably the sensor. If not, it could be the park pawl inside the transmission.

Either way, the hook messed something up. He should have towed from the rear, put it on trolleys or used a flatbed (and patience). Contact the company, tell them about the problem, and ask what they intend to do about it. They will probably have you go to a tame repair place (one that they work with a lot, or even own) and they'll pay the bill. If not, well, that's what courts are for. If you have to go there, remember the phrase "How much should I have to pay for the privilege of having my car damaged?" to be used each time the company tries to get out of 100% restitution.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:01 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Why was the car towed? certain circumstances, tow companies arent liable for damage caused by the removal.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:09 AM
TfcCDR
2nd Gear Member

Around here, they are responsible for any "avoidable" damage. Generally this means that if it's an MVA with the car trying to mate with something, down a hole, etc, it's understood that they're going to do some additional damage getting it clear. The OP doesn't say anything about an MVA or any other damage, so that would seem to not apply.

Since the Mustang is light enough that it can be dragged in any direction on pavement and just leave skid marks, if they broke something, that's probably avoidable damage.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:35 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

If it was towed from a no park zone good luck getting them to fix something.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:39 AM
bossladyark

It was towed because she got another vehicle and it was sitting in apt complex not being moved. I doubt i can get the tow co to do anything, i just need to find out what to do to repair it . we are having it shipped (she lives in Miami) to Ark , will know more when it gets here . It does go forward and reverse tho .
Old 03-26-2015, 09:21 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

So it was legally parked in her apt complex and they towed it? Sounds like an illegal tow to me. May be able to have the apt complex eat the bill if they are the ones that had it towed.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:36 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Nah some apartment complexes say if a vehicle doesn't move for like over a week it's considered disabled/abandoned and subjected to being towed, and you have to sign agreement to it to lease apartment.

Quick Reply: Only cranks in neutral