V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Running Dual Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 06:01 PM
ManStang

Default Running Dual Exhaust?

For those of you who have ran dual exhaust out of your v6, please tell me what you did and how much it costs.

I am a college student and I just purchased my 2nd v6 and it has a dual exhaust bumper so I figured I would run dual exhaust. But trying to do it as cheaply as possible.

-Thanks!!!
Old 04-01-2015, 07:10 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ManStang
For those of you who have ran dual exhaust out of your v6, please tell me what you did and how much it costs.

I am a college student and I just purchased my 2nd v6 and it has a dual exhaust bumper so I figured I would run dual exhaust. But trying to do it as cheaply as possible.

-Thanks!!!
Hey Man,

Congrats on your purchase!

In regards to the exhaust, I am a huge fan of the Flowmaster Force II Dual Catback Exhaust personally and would highly recommend it!

This kit bolts right up and provides the perfect low, v8 style growl without getting overly loud and raspy.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions.

-Will
Old 04-01-2015, 07:37 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

While I'm sure that's a great product and that's not a bad price for a new cat back, your exuast is limited to the most restricted section, you will still have a y pipe split into duals so it will not flow any better than the stock setup, will look at sound the part though.

I reccomend getting this adapter, it will allow you to go to a junk yard and get a stock cat back system from a GT and bolt it up. Will prolly run you half what that cat back cost all said and done. Plus a true dual setup will nab you a performance gain.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/pacese...it-9904v6.html

Also something from American Muscle, great site by the way, don't forget to private message a rep for the mustangforums.com discount code if you have enough posts ( I didnt look to see if you do. )
Old 04-02-2015, 07:09 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

^ +1

I am running GT take off tailpipes and had a shop modify my midpipe to duals w/ h-pipe on the 2000

the 1996 is getting a 3" dual setup from a fox 5.0 that I will modify to fit.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:51 AM
ManStang

Originally Posted by BabyGT
While I'm sure that's a great product and that's not a bad price for a new cat back, your exuast is limited to the most restricted section, you will still have a y pipe split into duals so it will not flow any better than the stock setup, will look at sound the part though.

I reccomend getting this adapter, it will allow you to go to a junk yard and get a stock cat back system from a GT and bolt it up. Will prolly run you half what that cat back cost all said and done. Plus a true dual setup will nab you a performance gain.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/pacese...it-9904v6.html

Also something from American Muscle, great site by the way, don't forget to private message a rep for the mustangforums.com discount code if you have enough posts ( I didnt look to see if you do. )
I was thinking about doing that. How does it sound, i heard it is still really quiet.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:56 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

the stock GT tailpipes/mufflers give the six a nice tone throughout the rpm range. At idle, it was hard to tell the difference between mine and a GT unless you really listened close.

Last edited by PNYXPRESS; 04-02-2015 at 09:59 AM.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:25 AM
ManStang

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
the stock GT tailpipes/mufflers give the six a nice tone throughout the rpm range. At idle, it was hard to tell the difference between mine and a GT unless you really listened close.
Thank you so much PNYXPRES, after i fix my mechanical issues this is what i will do. I really appreciate it!!!
Old 04-03-2015, 06:42 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

There are cheap ways and expensive ways to run exhaust. The cheapest will be to buy the mufflers yourself, then have a shop fab it all into place. Shops charge the base price you'll find online (even though they get retailer discounts) and then put a commission on top of that, so you'll all around pay more to them.

Flowmasters are generally the most sought after exhaust for essex 3.8L V6s on an economical budget. There is a wide range of flowmaster ranging from mild factory replacements to very loud off road intended setups. Flowmaster 40s tend to be the most common but will also lean more towards the louder end.

So onto cost, cheapest route will be to buy the mufflers yourself and have a shop cut your factory system off at the cats then weld in a shop fabricated system with your mufflers of choice. Going this route you'll need to get 2 1/4" off set/off set mufflers.

The next route would be slightly more expensive but you will get better quality pipes. Buy a GT catback system then have the shop cut at the cats and only running a short ran shop fabricated mid pipe.

The last route, and most expensive but best quality, will be to buy a V6 high flow catted mid pipe (if you wanna follow federal law) or a V6 off road mid pipe (if you find a shop that's cool with installing it as it's against smog laws, and a GT catback system.

All in all your power gains will be the same, but your sound will be best on an off road system. The major difference will be the quality of pipes used for any custom fabricated work by a shop.

If you bought all the components and just need a shop to install, that will run you around $100-150 depending on the shop, however any custom fabrication they do will be in excess of that install price, however will not be as much as a quality online part, so there is a trade off.

What's the difference in quality mean you may be thinking? It's simple, rust resistance. Cheaper exhaust components could rust up on you as fast as 1-2 years meaning you'd have to have the parts replaced. Most shops will warranty the work, but only for a set amount of time, this allows the cheaper components to slip by so when they fail at that 1-2 year mark, they're not liable.

If you go this route, you need to request stainless steel and or aluminumized steel. It's more expensive, but has a much higher resistance to corrosion than plain steel used in some shop pipes.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:48 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

What are your overall plans for the car ? Not saying it wrong but most people do a few mods to the 6er and move on to bigger and better things, so the y pipe adapter or GT take off is fine , but the GT exhaust is only 2.25" so if you do plan on going with extra power keep saving until you can find long tubes , your mid pipe choice and a 2.5" catback
Old 04-10-2015, 11:46 PM
ManStang

What im probably gonna do is do a pacesetter conversion kit where i cut the downpipes and install GT exhaust.

Quick Reply: Running Dual Exhaust?