V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

More POWER!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 01:10 AM
iron

Default More POWER!!!

Hey guys, just wondering what your best guesses might be on my horse power, also, what can I go on the cheap to gain even more. Here is what I have.

3.8 L
Ceramic headers
Straight back dual exhaust dual cats, and mufflers. (Very throaty sounding)
I have about $70 worth of plugs.
Racing plug wires.
K&N Air filter

Base hp is about 193 tops from what I have read over and over.
I am guessing with all that I have on this puppy. Maybe I am 210-220hp.

I want to be closer to the base GT model in hp, I have not done anything to the computer.

Also, I want to be able to turn on and off my traction control. What do I need to do to achieve that?

Now the mystery I need solved. I had some issues with the MAFV so I replaced it and reset the puter. After doing so, my car ran like an animal. I put the pedal down and it went sideways across 4 lanes as I was turning a mild left. It ran like a freak for a day or two, then calmed down to a normal Joe.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts. Not made of a ton of money, and frankly I do not want to put a ton into this car. Maybe a couple hundred more.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:47 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

You have about 200 hp
Im guessing those are shorty headers.

You wont be able to make GT power with only a few hundred bucks, just aint gonna happen.

There is a little button to turn traction control on/off-push it. If there is no button then it isnt possible.
Old 04-14-2015, 04:30 PM
iron

With all those mods I gained 7 hp? With the traction control I am looking for a way to install it, and the little button. But after all that money in mods and only getting 7 hp out of it, I might as well junk it. Headers, exhaust, plugs, wires, filter and so on. 7 hp for about $700. Worthless.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:58 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by iron
With all those mods I gained 7 hp? With the traction control I am looking for a way to install it, and the little button. But after all that money in mods and only getting 7 hp out of it, I might as well junk it. Headers, exhaust, plugs, wires, filter and so on. 7 hp for about $700. Worthless.
Hey man the mods on your car really want yeild you any HP. Can't speak for a 3.8 but before I went FI I had every bolt on under the sun (including cams) and I only gained like 20 rwhp. 20 rwhp may seem a lot but when you factor in all the money I spent (parts and labor) it was almost a waste of money. If you want real power you may have to save up for some type of FI. Sadly it pays to pay.....
Old 04-14-2015, 06:35 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Unfortunately the only thing that gave you an increase in power was the dual exhaust and k&n filter. Unless those are long tube headers.

Plugs and wires do nothing if you didn't increase air and fuel intake. And shortie headers are basically what came on the car stock.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:40 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
Unfortunately the only thing that gave you an increase in power was the dual exhaust and k&n filter. Unless those are long tube headers.

Plugs and wires do nothing if you didn't increase air and fuel intake. And shortie headers are basically what came on the car stock.
PNYX the 3.8 doesn't make 200 to the rear wheels do they? If not OP might be around 165-170 to rear wheels.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:25 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

No they don't , and alone those mods don't add power, but if you spend the money for a supercharger or nitrous you will net the most games
Old 04-14-2015, 10:05 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

To be on par with a 99-04 GT you have a lot of ground to make up. Not set of bolt ons, will put you on par with a GT except for those that involve a major engine over haul. You have two options:

1.) Drop a lot of money to build your car to GT/NA Cobra levels and you will not get it back should you sell the car. Minimum amount needed would exceed the value of the car.

2.) Sell your car for what you can get and get something more in line with what you want.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:06 AM
iron

Basically what I am thinking. I was thinking of getting a chip on it and tuning it. Was going to add an performance coil pack as well. If I go with a nice CAI, I might gain what a couple horses maybe? I was also thinking of dropping a 302 or a 4.6 in it. I think I can get one pretty cheap, cheaper than all these mods. I kinda wanted to make a sleeper out of it. Supercharger, or turbo, worth nearly as much as the car. Could sell it and buy one with it already installed.

The coil pack, and programming was my next step. Was not sure on the CAI if it would be worth it or not. Not talking about RWHP, talking about the crank.

Also, if I put on a bigger throttle body, and plenum, what gains do you think I could expect.

So here is the check list.

Coil Pack
w or w/o CAI
Bigger throttle body
plenum
programmed,
add that with what I have in it already, what would be your best guess at the crank? Thanks. Again, I could probably pick up a motor way cheaper and just drop it in and have a real hot rod.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:17 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Coil pack-waste of money, motorcraft works just fine.
CAI- maybe 1 hp- the filter is where the gain is
throttle body- does nothing unless the motor requires more air, ie FI
Tune-your biggest gains right here

All said and done maybe 210-215 depending on how aggressive the tune is

Quick Reply: More POWER!!!