V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

More POWER!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 02:51 AM
iron

I am finding, and amazingly so. Superchargers complete kits on Ebay. Such a great deal, well I am tempted to make a purchase on some bad butt twin turbos. Oh yeah. For only $800 and some change. Got to be worth it. Add says for up to 900 hp on one model. 125- 900hp Rear wheel? Only $800, that has got to be worth it. Now, for far less, a mere $20 I can get a blue (to match my paint) Turbonator. All I have to do is put it in-line with my CAI and I got a massive 5 lbs boost.
Honestly, I am checking out the superchargers. I could sell a toy and buy a set up if it is worth while. Pretty cheap prices. Thinking if I got one of them, then, if the thing works right, I would easily be within range of Mr GT.

ChromeShadow, I was thinking of getting a tuner for this car, which is another question I have. Is it really worth the price? $200-400 for how much of a gain? Also thinking of your little hack and understanding these computers what little I do. I have to wonder if the ECM seen the misaligned sensor and offset the settings to put it more in line with specs. Thoughts?
Old 04-17-2015, 06:16 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

Is it really worth the price? $200-400 for how much of a gain?
I didn't think it was worth it, but lots of others do
I have to wonder if the ECM seen the misaligned sensor and offset the settings to put it more in line with specs.
On the 2000 and 2001, there is no way for the ECM to know the sensor has been moved. I did not get any error codes as a result of the change.

I decided if I wanted the power of a V8, I would buy a V8, not beef up the 3.8. Some of them work fine, but you overwork the transmission, driveline and the rear end. More horse power needs better brakes and suspension too, inho.
Old 04-17-2015, 06:34 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

You will need a tuner if you go any FI route. Also dont expect to get the gains that are promised by those ads, and stay away from those electric turbos, they are a complete waste.
Old 04-17-2015, 02:03 PM
iron

I know the electric cpu fan motors are trash. It was kind of a joke. I found a nice 8psi unit on ebay for $500 complete kit with turbo. I forgot to add I have a high output fuel pump in the tank as well. Totally forgot that part.

Its good to hear the cpu did not correct the changes. I love how all these parts have huge claims, but in the end, they are nearly useless.
Old 04-17-2015, 05:10 PM
torchred02
3rd Gear Member

sounds like youre new to all this man, don't spend a dime until you do plenty of research. browse through the forums and youll learn a lot.
Old 04-17-2015, 05:47 PM
iron

Yeah I am pretty new to mods. I worked at a Ford dealer in the 90s doing drivability, alignments, brakes, electronics and so on. Later went on to a Dodge dealer to do clutches, top ends, some full engine stuff. However, things have changed dramatically over the years. Finding out what works, and what doesn't is the biggest things. I know to cool the engine, then open the airways, and dump fuel. Add compression. Then letting it breathe right. What is the best and most effective ways to do that with these more modern systems, I am learning that yet. How much a tune will give me is what I really want to learn.
Old 04-17-2015, 05:56 PM
iron

Watching a BAMA vid for their tuner. Stock hp 157 stock tq 189 with tuner 163hp 187 tq, on the video, they said they picked up 10 hp and 10 ft lbs of tq. Actually lost 2 lbs of tq, and only gained 6 hp. Not even noticeable.
Old 04-17-2015, 06:25 PM
iron

This time I watched another vid it was by the same people as the last video. American Muscle.
Stock hp on the mustang or at least the numbers they put up. 147hp 185 tq

They added these upgrade to the car:
Bama tuner
SR Performance CAI
Accel coil pack
true dual pipes
373 gears
limited diff 163 hp 192 tq is the end result.

Now if you compare that to the previous video. Stock is 157hp 189 tq
You have spent a lot of money for 6 hp and 3 lbs of torque.

Has anyone done this, just to see these small gains? I already have a bunch in my car, and want to do a tuner, thinking of a turbo at this point.
My list is this.
K&N Filter (says 5 hp) It was a noticeable increase in mileage, a tad in hp.
Straight back true dual exhaust.
Headers
Racing plugs and wires
Lastly, which I did not add to my post a SVO Fuel pump in the tank.
Looking to add a tuner, possible turbo, and rear end I am debating about.
When I bought the car I only added the Filter, plugs, wires and pump. Everything else was there.
Old 04-18-2015, 12:26 AM
iron

I think it will be easier and make more sense to hook up a new fresh 302 or 4.6 in my car. Price wise, I think it would be the best investment. I am pretty much set up for V8 anyway. Finding them here cheaper than a turbo. So I think I will get one. Strip it and have it totally rebuilt. Rebuild and port out the heads as well. New crank, and cams. All the essentials and I think I will be doing pretty good. I cannot get into a GT like I want to get in for this price. Car is paid for. Why not make it into what I want?
Old 04-19-2015, 05:02 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Originally Posted by iron
I am finding, and amazingly so. Superchargers complete kits on Ebay. Such a great deal, well I am tempted to make a purchase on some bad butt twin turbos. Oh yeah. For only $800 and some change. Got to be worth it. Add says for up to 900 hp on one model. 125- 900hp Rear wheel? Only $800, that has got to be worth it. Now, for far less, a mere $20 I can get a blue (to match my paint) Turbonator. All I have to do is put it in-line with my CAI and I got a massive 5 lbs boost.
Honestly, I am checking out the superchargers. I could sell a toy and buy a set up if it is worth while. Pretty cheap prices. Thinking if I got one of them, then, if the thing works right, I would easily be within range of Mr GT.

ChromeShadow, I was thinking of getting a tuner for this car, which is another question I have. Is it really worth the price? $200-400 for how much of a gain? Also thinking of your little hack and understanding these computers what little I do. I have to wonder if the ECM seen the misaligned sensor and offset the settings to put it more in line with specs. Thoughts?
Be very careful what you buy, especially from ebay, lots of junk on there. Also, you don't want to buy some one else failed project or take on a project of your own by buying a damaged or defective product.

Those "twin turbos" you see on ebay are rock bottom quality components and will not work on your car without thousands of dollars in additional parts and custom fabricated work. In general a turbo kit, without paying for install, will run upwards of 3-4K, and that's used.

Unless running a roots or twin screw supercharger, you will not use a CAI for a supercharged or turbo based car.

Tuners are very worth it, and have much more importance the more modded the car becomes, however, in factory form, the best tunes will only yield around 10 rhwp on an essex 3.8L.

Quick Reply: More POWER!!!