V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

More POWER!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 05:10 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Originally Posted by iron
I think it will be easier and make more sense to hook up a new fresh 302 or 4.6 in my car. Price wise, I think it would be the best investment. I am pretty much set up for V8 anyway. Finding them here cheaper than a turbo. So I think I will get one. Strip it and have it totally rebuilt. Rebuild and port out the heads as well. New crank, and cams. All the essentials and I think I will be doing pretty good. I cannot get into a GT like I want to get in for this price. Car is paid for. Why not make it into what I want?
You simply do not "hook up" or "drop in" a 4.6L or 5.0. There are so many people that have tried this and failed it's not even funny. The 5.0 should be completely ruled out as the electronics are completely different for the 5.0 and you would need a 94/95 donor car to perform the swap as you'd need the entire wiring harness, plus a ton of secondary parts.

The 4.6L would be more "straight forward" but will still require parts of the wiring harness, ECU, 8.8" rear, GT shocks/struts, full exhaust, gauges, and a ton of other bits and pieces. Again, you'd need an entire donor car for the swap.

All in all, as I stated before, to make your car what you want it, you'd have to invest more than the car is worth.

Best bet is if you really want more performance, list your car for sale, and sell it privately then use that money as a down payment towards what you want. I know you said your car is paid for, but either way you go, you're spending money, why not use that money to get a truly better product that has a better long term value.
Old 04-19-2015, 05:21 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Originally Posted by iron
This time I watched another vid it was by the same people as the last video. American Muscle.
Stock hp on the mustang or at least the numbers they put up. 147hp 185 tq

They added these upgrade to the car:
Bama tuner
SR Performance CAI
Accel coil pack
true dual pipes
373 gears
limited diff 163 hp 192 tq is the end result.

Now if you compare that to the previous video. Stock is 157hp 189 tq
You have spent a lot of money for 6 hp and 3 lbs of torque.

Has anyone done this, just to see these small gains? I already have a bunch in my car, and want to do a tuner, thinking of a turbo at this point.
My list is this.
K&N Filter (says 5 hp) It was a noticeable increase in mileage, a tad in hp.
Straight back true dual exhaust.
Headers
Racing plugs and wires
Lastly, which I did not add to my post a SVO Fuel pump in the tank.
Looking to add a tuner, possible turbo, and rear end I am debating about.
When I bought the car I only added the Filter, plugs, wires and pump. Everything else was there.
Most people on here, including myself, have learned that throwing money at the essex 3.8L yields little results. To get good results you have to throw a lot of money at the car.

Put it his way, I had a 98V6 and sold it for a 95GT. Which I in turn built up to be a monster cranking out over 400 rwhp. Now excluding dress ups and some restoration work, to hit those numbers in my old 5.0 I invested $1500 in a Kenne Bell supercharger (got a stupid deal on one), $200 in a GT-40 lower intake (which I ported), $900 in GT40X Aluminum heads (which I ported the exhaust side), $150 1.7 crane roller rockers, $200 aluminum driveshaft, $80 9mm steeda spark plug wires, $20 NGK Vtip spark plus 1* cooler temp, $200 BBK CAI, $400 Magnaflow catback exhaust, $200 Bassani O/R X pipe, $200 BBK ceramic coated headers.

Yes the above is a nice chunk of money, but the end result was amazing and very fun to drive.

Here was the N/A result, but after I took off the super charger.

Old 04-21-2015, 06:04 PM
iron

jthorn9 That is a purty motor you got there. I am going to be shopping for a Cobra I think. I think the 04 cobra had the most power. Build from there. Been wanting a track car, so maybe I will gut this one and put an old motor in it and make it into a track car. Get me a 1:04:00 at Laguna Seca :P Fat chance. If I could find a cheap deal on a supercharger I would go ahead and stick it on the V6 just for the fun of it. I have tried and tried to find cams for this thing. Anything to mod the engine itself with, kind of a up hill battle. Not using the car, and now is a good time to build it up if I am going to.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:51 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Only place you'll find performance parts for the V6 is www.supersixmotorsports.com
Old 04-22-2015, 02:10 AM
iron

Thats something I was looking for. Bolt on real hp. Good link buddy!
Old 09-26-2015, 01:25 PM
RCS02v6

Default Need Input

I have read many of the posts here and still had a few questions. I am running entirely stock, 02 3.8 conv.. I am not after GT results just a small boost to spin the tires. It does fairly well now with 245, 35, 20 tires. It appears my best options are a tuner and a cold air intake. Like many things the prices on these vary greatly. I found a cold air intake for as little as 60 bucks and a tuner for about 190. At these prices can I expect junk and should I go with more expensive/quality parts? Some brands would help. Thanks for any input, from a new Mustang driver :P
Old 09-26-2015, 03:58 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

A cheap ebay CAI with a quality filter will work just fine. Get a sct tuner. And get some tunes programmed on it from a quality tuner company.
Old 09-29-2015, 01:53 PM
RCS02v6

Thanks a lot. Does the "machine" you buy not come "programmed" with a few options?
Old 09-29-2015, 03:42 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

The tuner comes with tunes if you buy it from a someone like american muscle or another company that writes tunes. If you buy it directly from sct or a regular retail store then no.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:25 AM
RCS02v6

Default Much Appreciated

Just wanted to Thank Pony and everyone for all the great advice and info.

Quick Reply: More POWER!!!