V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

2000 v6 fuel system pressure

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 01:07 AM
Scottyboy187

Default 2000 v6 fuel system pressure

Hello I am new to the forums. I have a 2000 3.8l. I have been encountering issues with my fuel pressure (i think). I have random long crank times. Regardless of the weather or engine temp. Sometimes it starts right up while other times it cranks for 5 seconds or so. I also have noticed a decrease in performance. I just replaced my spark plugs and fuel filter. I can't seem to find any info about what pressure is supposed to be. I am also confused if I have a fuel pressure regulator or not and if I have the returnless system or not. My pressure is 15psi with the key on engine off. While its a constant 45 with the engine running. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!
Old 05-11-2015, 10:30 AM
corker
1st Gear Member

I am pretty sure the 2000 is not a returnless system. You'll have to have a look at the Fuel Rail for the FPR. FP specs are below:

KOEO 35 - 50psi
KOER 25 - 40psi

You definitely got low fuel pressure to start with.
Corky
Old 05-11-2015, 11:33 AM
Scottyboy187

Originally Posted by corker
I am pretty sure the 2000 is not a returnless system. You'll have to have a look at the Fuel Rail for the FPR. FP specs are below:

KOEO 35 - 50psi
KOER 25 - 40psi

You definitely got low fuel pressure to start with.
Corky
Thank you for the reply! From what I have found it is returnless. Where did you get those FP specs from?
Old 05-11-2015, 12:05 PM
corker
1st Gear Member

Specs are from Mitchell, see attached
Old 06-22-2015, 03:41 PM
SteelerNation82
1st Gear Member

Thought I'd post to this thread because I'm experiencing similar issues with my '00/Automatic w/ 109k miles all stock.

If I start the car up first thing in the morning it cranks over a bit excessively until it starts up. Otherwise it fires right up same day if I use the car and it sits for minutes or hours at a time.

KOEO fuel pressure is 0, I have to cycle the key on/off about 10x in order for it to build up to 30PSI on the gauge.

KOER fuel pressure at idle is steady 32PSI w/ vacuum line to fuel rail pressure sensor connected. With the line disconnected it rises to 42PSI and stays steady.

I have shut the car down and left the fuel pressure gauge hooked up and the pressure slightly rises to 40PSI, then slowly drops off and levels off at 30PSI after about an hour. I haven't left it connected longer than that but would take a guess that it slowly dissipates to 0 after a day.

Fuel filter has less than 8k miles on it, car has many new parts including plugs/wires/coil pack.

Any thoughts on further fuel pump diagnostics?
Old 06-22-2015, 04:38 PM
Scottyboy187

I just ignore it now. Every time I start my car, I turn the key so all the electronics and fuel pump turn on. Then i wait about 5 seconds before cranking. Usually it starts right up and everything is normal.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:49 AM
SteelerNation82
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Scottyboy187
I just ignore it now. Every time I start my car, I turn the key so all the electronics and fuel pump turn on. Then i wait about 5 seconds before cranking. Usually it starts right up and everything is normal.
Do you have any other symptoms with the car otherwise? Does it shudder/misfire under certain conditions?

I've tried cycling the key and it doesn't really seem to help in my case, no matter how long I pause in between.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:18 AM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Sounds like you both might have a leaking injector or dying pump, scotty I'd say you have a leaking injector, your running pressure seems to be good so I would say the pump is fine. Steeler I'd lean towards a weak pump if you have to prime that much to get going.
Old 06-24-2015, 12:34 AM
Scottyboy187

Originally Posted by SteelerNation82
Do you have any other symptoms with the car otherwise? Does it shudder/misfire under certain conditions?

I've tried cycling the key and it doesn't really seem to help in my case, no matter how long I pause in between.
Nope it runs fine other than that. I think the performance decrease was just in my head. When I put the car in first gear and let the clutch out slowly without giving it gas (just to idle) the car shutters pretty bad. Like it's going to stall. It only does this when it's fully warmed up and the rpms have dropped to the normal 700rpm or so. I think it's normal though I am unsure.
Old 06-24-2015, 12:37 AM
Scottyboy187

Originally Posted by BabyGT
Sounds like you both might have a leaking injector or dying pump, scotty I'd say you have a leaking injector, your running pressure seems to be good so I would say the pump is fine. Steeler I'd lean towards a weak pump if you have to prime that much to get going.
If I had a leaky injector the fuel pressure would drop after shutting the engine off. I let it sit for about 10 minutes and it really didn't drop (1psi if anything).

Quick Reply: 2000 v6 fuel system pressure