V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Front driver side brake noise?

Old 05-24-2015, 02:19 AM
gagemcc

Default Front driver side brake noise?

Well this started recently, the noise kind of sounds more like clicking and not grinding. I can feel it in the pedal and it happens at low speeds and when I am at a stop if I pump them. Pads are great in terms of life and the rotor looks fine but the caliper has two circular indents on the pistons from the nails on the plates of the pads I believe. Whenever I apply disc brake quiet to the plate of the pads the noise goes away for a tiny bit then returns. Could it be the caliper is damaged and needs replaced as in the indents could be the cause?
Old 05-26-2015, 07:15 PM
KrazyKen

Can you post a picture of the indents? The indents are most likely not the cause, but I could be wrong and a picture would help. How long since the last brake service?
Old 05-27-2015, 04:50 AM
gagemcc

I'll get back to you soon for a picture but I changed the pads about 5 months ago, a friend of mine says it might be the brake lines?
Old 05-28-2015, 11:53 AM
SteelerNation82
1st Gear Member

You need to switch those pads around as in swap the inboard/outboard pads on each side. Those 'nipples' on the backs of the shims should be your outboard pads facing out towards the wheel. I ran across the same issue with my car last year shortly after I bought it. My front pads were down to bare metal, needless to say that was the very first thing I tackled. The inboard pads facing the piston should ALWAYS be flush on the backside. Those 2 pins sticking out will not allow this, I tried it and took a good look and realized they should be the other way around.

Just an FYI, I pulled an image in Autozone's repair guide online, it's free if you register an account online through it and I've found it helpful in the past. In the brake section it shows an exploded view of the front brakes and looking closely you can see those 2 pins facing outwards on the outboard brake pad.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:12 AM
99'PEGASV6
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SteelerNation82
You need to switch those pads around as in swap the inboard/outboard pads on each side. Those 'nipples' on the backs of the shims should be your outboard pads facing out towards the wheel. I ran across the same issue with my car last year shortly after I bought it. My front pads were down to bare metal, needless to say that was the very first thing I tackled. The inboard pads facing the piston should ALWAYS be flush on the backside. Those 2 pins sticking out will not allow this, I tried it and took a good look and realized they should be the other way around.

Just an FYI, I pulled an image in Autozone's repair guide online, it's free if you register an account online through it and I've found it helpful in the past. In the brake section it shows an exploded view of the front brakes and looking closely you can see those 2 pins facing outwards on the outboard brake pad.
I may have the same thing going on with me, I'm not trying to thread jack, but I got those duralast brake pads and replaced them these weekend, do those have to be outboard/inboard specific as well? Cause I just threw them on there... Unfortunately I made a new thread for this, should've searched more thoroughly =x