V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Buying the correct parts

Old 06-07-2015, 02:37 PM
sandman383

Arrow Buying the correct parts

Good day,

I hoping some of you Mustang enthusiasts can help.
I know that there are others out there who have been adding upgrades to your own Mustang.
First my 2001 Mustang - Coupe, V6 - so far I have not done upgrading or add-ons.
However I wouldn’t mind starting, probably just doing a part or two at a time with some advice from you all.

A certain web site (AM) suggested the following add-ons that I have broken up into two sections Performance and Handling. I was thinking about starting with performance first then handling.

If there is something else besides these items please let me know?

In order with the most performance first what item and order can you recommend?

PERFORMANCE: (Highest – Lowest?) - First
- SR PERFORMANCE BLACK COLD AIR INTAKE
- PYPES TRUE DUAL OFF-ROAD EXHAUST
- ACCEL SUPER EDIS COIL PACK - VERTICA
- AUBURN GEAR HP SERIES LIMIT SLIP DIFFERENTIAL - 28 SPLINE 7.5 IN
- FORD RACING 3.73 GEARS

HANDLING: (Highest – Lowest?)
- EIBACH ANTI-ROLL SWAY BAR KIT
- QA1 CASTER CAMBER PLATES
- EIBACH PRO-KIT SPRINGS – COUPE
- STEEDA BUMPSTEER KIT

Thank you for all your help.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:06 PM
KrazyKen

Look through these article (forum posts), especially the 3.8 Modifications Getting Started. These articles should help your decision making a lot considering they are done by forum members who have already done many modifications to their cars. One question which needs to be asked is, "What is your goals for the car?". Big power race car, autocross, daily driver or whatever.

Personally my Mustang is a daily driver and I have not done much except fix her up and keep her running well. My one single best performance/handling modification was adding a used rear sway bar from a 2002 GT. Greatly improved the turning and handling.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:03 AM
sandman383

Thank you for the advice I be sure to check out the 3.8 Mods also the rear sway bar. Also that is definitely a good point, what a want to do with the car? Like you it would just be for just a daily drive. I will probably just be adding one thing at a time and see how it goes. I would have to take the car too far to a point that I don't like the feel or end up purchasing some unnecessary parts.
Old 06-08-2015, 03:01 PM
KrazyKen

Haha, sorry I never left the link for the articles.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/v6-1...-articles.html

Ok now that we know your Mustang will be a daily driver, now you need to decide if you mods are wants or needs. For example, for me, anything that deals with suspension or braking is a need and most power mods are wants. Therefore most of the repairs/upgrades made to my Mustang were to help the handling. Categorizing your upgrades into wants/needs will at least give you a starting point on where to put your money for upgrading. Hope this information helps.
Old 06-08-2015, 04:35 PM
sandman383

Sound advice and I have already done some reading on that link you gave. You mentioned that the one big change you did was to add that "rear sway bar". Would a sway bar help without lowering the car with new springs. Many have added both at the same time. Honestly I'm not sure if I was to lower the car but the sway bar does sound interesting.
Old 06-10-2015, 03:59 PM
KrazyKen

Sway bars definitely help on any car and our 99-04 V6 Mustangs only come with front sway bars. I bought a used front and rear sway bar from a 2002 GT parts car. Replaced all the bushings and front end links in the process. Don't need to lower the car to do a sway bar, it does help but it's not absolutely needed for a daily driver.