V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Brake issues

Old 06-27-2015, 08:00 AM
Mrxwhite

Default Brake issues

Had my driver front rim get real hot yesterday. Smelled burning brakes. So I took it apart and the caliper was busted. Changed it took it to work this morning. We'll smelled burnt brakes again!! Same rim was hot as fire. Someone suggested the hydraulic brake hose may have colapsed and was looking for a second opinion
Old 06-27-2015, 08:27 AM
Ming

you did change the pads right. When something like that happens you should do a full front brake job cut rotors new pads. caliper was bled from top bleeder?
Old 06-27-2015, 08:40 AM
Mrxwhite

Brake pads were still new and the rotor showed no wear so I didn't see the need to change those and yes I bleed from the top bleeder plug.
Old 06-27-2015, 08:44 AM
Ming

Your pads held some brake fluid and that's the smell. That will go away. check your rim to see if its rubbing in linkage. This would cause heat and crack caliper. I have seen this before. Look at the inside of the rim and see if their is a rub spot.
Old 06-27-2015, 08:45 AM
Mrxwhite

OK I'll look at it when I get off today. I was thinking maybe I tightened the rim to tight or maybe the caliper to tight
Old 06-27-2015, 09:02 AM
Mrxwhite

Someone's suggested the hydraulic brake line close in on itself but I don't see how when it bleed fine last night. Shooting outta the bleeder valve like a rocket lol
Old 06-27-2015, 10:16 AM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mrxwhite
Someone's suggested the hydraulic brake line close in on itself but I don't see how when it bleed fine last night. Shooting outta the bleeder valve like a rocket lol
thats because when a hose colapses is doesnt let the pressure release, and then the brake drags, then it gets hot. how to tell if the hose is the problem is to have an assistant hold the brake and then release, as soon as he releases, crack the bleeder, if fluid shoots out with the pedal released you have a bad hose, if fluid doesnt shoot out, then i would check my caliper slide pins and brake pads to make sure that they move freely in the caliper bracket
Old 06-27-2015, 11:03 AM
Mrxwhite

Originally Posted by jwog666
thats because when a hose colapses is doesnt let the pressure release, and then the brake drags, then it gets hot. how to tell if the hose is the problem is to have an assistant hold the brake and then release, as soon as he releases, crack the bleeder, if fluid shoots out with the pedal released you have a bad hose, if fluid doesnt shoot out, then i would check my caliper slide pins and brake pads to make sure that they move freely in the caliper bracket
Just to be clear on this :
Have someone compress the brake to build pressure then release the pedal.
While released I turn the top bleeder valve and if fluids shoot out while decompressed then I have a bad hydraulic hose?

Also I made sure before putting the tire back on last night and the slide pins would give in and out and the caliper had so play like normal.

See I'm trying to do this myself. All my friends and family say they wanna help and just take over the project so I haven't asked any of them this time. I can't learn unless I get my hands dirty
Old 06-27-2015, 09:56 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

yes thats correct, if the hose is bad the pressure will enter the caliper and not be able to release due to the hose
Old 06-27-2015, 10:51 PM
Mrxwhite

Originally Posted by jwog666
yes thats correct, if the hose is bad the pressure will enter the caliper and not be able to release due to the hose
I checked the rim and there was no rubbing present just a little build up.
When I compressed the brakes like suggested nothing but drops of fluid came out of the valve but it took everything in me to turn it. It was like it was vapor locked so I bought a new hydraulic hose tonight and replaced it. Took on about a 10 Mile trip and the rim is warm but no where as hit as it was this morning. I'll call that a win!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake issues