V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Debating on picking up a 99 V6 Thoughts?

Old 06-28-2015, 04:10 PM
MustangVixenGT
2nd Gear Member

Default Debating on picking up a 99 V6 Thoughts?

Hey everyone, so after my divorce claimed my 2013 Gotta Have it Green GT, I have been really wanting to get back into a Mustang bad. Driving a 14 Focus is just not quite the same if you know what I mean.

Anyhow I found this 99 V6 with 144k on it. Has slight engine tick, they say its an exhaust manifold leak. Car was repainted about 2 weeks ago, it was a trade in. I guess the bumper was all chipped so they re did it. Detailed the car in and out, I am having it looked at by a friend later this week to confirm exhaust leak. Also to see if it might have anything else wrong and he's going to do a compression check on its engine.

So if it comes back with exhaust leak being the worst thing wrong with it do you all thing its worth it?

Name:  01_zpseuo1p08a.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  63.4 KB

Name:  09_zpsbwxghuts.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  46.8 KB

Name:  14_zpssv119idp.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  77.8 KB
Old 06-28-2015, 04:33 PM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

I'm really fond of the 99/00, I had mine 12 years and nearly 200,000 miles. It looked and ran like new.
I had no major problems with it. I sold it here in WI late summer for $1,300, but no one drives rear wheel drive cars here in winter.
I would say under $3,000 if they fix the exhaust leak.
Sorry about the loss of your 13, hope you bounce back quickly.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:45 AM
Mobiusone stang
2nd Gear Member

Ran my 2000 right up to 100K miles before selling it. I have no doubt that it could go 100K more, or higher. The only problem I ever had was the fuel pump, but they are a known issue on these years for some reason. (Well, early 2000's ford was the reason). I'm with chrome, $3000 if they fix the leak, but the paint does look great! (factory paint in these years was absolute crap)
Old 06-29-2015, 10:04 AM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Looks nice and manual is a real plus, have you test driven it? I love my v6 but it is nowhere near as fast as what you had. Not saying that is a problem, not everyone is in it to go fast, just make sure you are okay with the difference in the feel.

Apart from that advice, car looks great, the exhaust issue is common on those years so it a good chance that's the problem. How much are they asking? That's what's gonna tell us if it's worth it. If the price is right it looks great.

Last edited by BabyGT; 06-29-2015 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Friggin auto correct second guessing everything I type.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:25 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

I give a green light if the inspection checks out.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:50 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

If it checks out and the price is right. I would
i love my 2000 sixxer. The biggest difference you will notice besides power is how much smaller the car feels than the s197.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:48 AM
NYstang
MF Staff Snitch

Most likely is the exhaust. If its not rusty and the paint is as good as it looks, I would go as far as 4k with it. Much more than that, you can get one with lower miles and a couple mods done to it.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:28 PM
MustangVixenGT
2nd Gear Member

Little update!

The car passed compression checks just fine all within spec. It did come back with a few issues however...

First issue was clutch was going out, I could feel it slipping as soon as I went into first gear. The shop I take all my mustangs too confirmed that.

Needs new tires, alignment.

Leaking from the oil pan.

Good news is I got them to fix all that and do new tires and alignment for $2,700 and talked them into splitting the difference on the clutch. So it brought it up to $2,940. I would of rather had my shop do the work to it, but it would of been another 500 dollars. Dealership was willing to work so ill see how they do. Besides ill most likely just mod the crap out of it anyhow.

I will just have to live with the exhaust leak for now. Exhaust leak to me just equals new longtube headers, X pipe and catbacks... That's how I fix an exhaust leak....
Old 07-02-2015, 09:16 AM
Mobiusone stang
2nd Gear Member

CONGRATS!!! I seriously miss my newedge, it was a great car. 3K with most all the issues fixed is a pretty good deal, plus the new paint! After the exhaust, my suggestion would seriously be the brakes. No doubt, at least the front rotors and pads. I put on DBA's with Hawk HPS from American Muscle, and it made a world of difference. My brakes weren't in disrepair, but putting more stopping power made it feel so much safer. You're going to love the car I know!
Old 07-02-2015, 12:01 PM
Archion
4th Gear Member

I've got 175k on mine and climbing, I just got done doing the t5 swap. Only real repair I've had to do was the intake gasket, Ford's lovely plastic idea....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Debating on picking up a 99 V6 Thoughts?