V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Debating on picking up a 99 V6 Thoughts?

Old 07-02-2015, 03:25 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Great deal!
Old 07-02-2015, 11:14 PM
MustangVixenGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mobiusone stang
CONGRATS!!! I seriously miss my newedge, it was a great car. 3K with most all the issues fixed is a pretty good deal, plus the new paint! After the exhaust, my suggestion would seriously be the brakes. No doubt, at least the front rotors and pads. I put on DBA's with Hawk HPS from American Muscle, and it made a world of difference. My brakes weren't in disrepair, but putting more stopping power made it feel so much safer. You're going to love the car I know!
They had already put new breaks on it I actually planned on putting 19"s or 18"s on it.
2013 GT500 STYLE GLOSS BLACK WHEEL

AMR BLACK WHEEL
Old 07-03-2015, 08:31 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

+1 on saving up for long tubes with a high flow catted mid pipe and a 2.5" catback

There was a guy on here a few years ago that had over 600k on his v6 so you should be good
Old 07-03-2015, 09:57 PM
Mobiusone stang
2nd Gear Member

Let's be honest, the newedges weren't luxurious at ALL, but they are bullet proof. And those AMR's look sick!
Old 07-05-2015, 10:22 PM
NYstang
MF Staff Snitch

Originally Posted by Mobiusone stang
Let's be honest, the newedges weren't luxurious at ALL, but they are bullet proof. And those AMR's look sick!
Yes, they arent as nice as new, but still not bad! I actually find my interior better built than my sisters 2009 Forester.

Originally Posted by MustangVixenGT
They had already put new breaks on it I actually planned on putting 19"s or 18"s on it.
2013 GT500 STYLE GLOSS BLACK WHEEL

AMR BLACK WHEEL
Nice choices! My preference is something with a different color lip, but you cant go wrong with anything over those 15s!

Random, but Id say watch Ebay for a leather steering wheel from a GT. the stock foam one either is crap or turning to crap, and leather wheels are getting harder to find.

Originally Posted by mustangman02232
+1 on saving up for long tubes with a high flow catted mid pipe and a 2.5" catback

There was a guy on here a few years ago that had over 600k on his v6 so you should be good

What this guy said!

And wasnt he over 750,000 when he traded in?
Old 07-06-2015, 06:53 AM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

He got lowileage pricing for it during the clunkers deals way back, then he saw it sell at auction for a couple hundred bucks and almost bought it back lol
Old 07-06-2015, 06:53 AM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Should have kept it, made a big thing about hitting a million or something. Ford might have given him a brand new one lol
Old 07-06-2015, 10:30 AM
MustangVixenGT
2nd Gear Member

WOW 750k lol, that is rather bat **** crazy. But yes I have already noticed its not quite as nice as my 13 GT was. Oh well, its not that bad inside.
Old 07-06-2015, 02:10 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Yep, bullet proof motors. I had my 00 V6 from new until about 130K miles. Sold it in 08 to buy my current ride.

One other issue to keep a look out for. Water Pump. When mine started to leak through the weep hole it was enough to make me lose coolant (had to fill the reservoir once a week). Nothing on the floor and no trace really of where it was going since the oil was clean and there were no signs anywhere.

Turned out the seal in the WP was going. It was only spotted when the dealer had it up in the air for the clutch. Showed me the residue marks where the weep hole was and mentioned it had been going for a few months (About the time I noticed the fluid loss). They replaced it and problem solved. It was something pretty common they mentioned.

Other pieces of advice from my experience, avoid MAC Short headers and avoid Pypes dual exhaust unless you are ready for some custom sizing.

I purchased MAC because they were one of the only CARB friendly shorty's and they were supposed to fit. They fit great on the heads but not with the A.I.R. tubes. Their fittings were incorrect so I ended up having to micky mouse it a bit.

Pypes, sounded great but fit like crap (needed some cutting and needed some slight bending to look even in the back. I got their dual exhaust system with 'X' crossover and turndown exhaust so I wouldn't need the GT bumper.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:58 PM
MustangVixenGT
2nd Gear Member

Yeah I had a stainless works exhaust setup on my 2013 GT.... Don't know if they make em for the 99 V6.. But I really can't afford to throw down almost 3k for a full exhaust system again lol.

Thanks for the tip on the water pump ill keep an eye one it! Are they hard to replace on the 99's? I replaced one once on my 72 Mach 1 but it was like 8 bolts....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Debating on picking up a 99 V6 Thoughts?