V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

MAF Screen in Factory Airbox - Should this have a seal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 03:16 PM
SteelerNation82
1st Gear Member

Default MAF Screen in Factory Airbox - Should this have a seal?

My car is a 2000, stock intake and noticed that the MAF Screen/Strainer which is sandwiched between both sections of the MAF housing sits in there loosely. Loosely as in, it's not going anywhere but has enough room to slide around a bit.

If I unbolt the MAF from the airbox there appears to be a 'notch' or ring seal area in front of it but no o-ring or seal. Should there be an o-ring or seal in there and would this affect anything with the stock intake otherwise? I've seen some used MAF units on ebay and noticed a few of them have what appears to be a gasket or seal of some sort in front of the MAF surrounding the screen.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:12 AM
corker
1st Gear Member

I looked all thru my Mitchell subscription and there isn't a single diagram of the MAF or how is mounted. My son has the car now, so I can't check it out and I don't recall when I had it out to clean it.
Sorry, I am useless this morning!
Old 08-21-2015, 08:15 AM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

it should not move around, if it can move its leaking unmetered/unfiltered air, if you go to a dealers parts dept, they should be able to pull up a diagram so u can see the associated parts and get what you need
Old 08-21-2015, 09:38 AM
SteelerNation82
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jwog666
it should not move around, if it can move its leaking unmetered/unfiltered air, if you go to a dealers parts dept, they should be able to pull up a diagram so u can see the associated parts and get what you need
That's what came across my mind. The 'mouth' of the housing basically rests/seals itself against the air filter when it's snapped together with cone end of the housing. I'm running a new replacement MC air filter that has a nice thick moulded base that helps keep an air tight seal in that area. However, from the screen back, the only thing sealing the airbox is the thin foam seal sandwiched between the 2 half portions of the MAF housing.

I've tried searching pics of the stock MAF/screen setups and the only thing I can relate to is some used MAF units listed on ebay and some show a sealing 'ring' around the screen and some don't. I've carefully taken apart the airbox when I first got he car and never noticed anything falling out of there.

For reference, here's the only one on I've found online that shows a seal around the screen attached to the MAF.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-97-98-99-00-MUSTANG-MASS-AIR-FLOW-SENSOR-METER-3-8-/111699134710?hash=item1a01c988f6&vxp=mtr
Old 08-21-2015, 09:44 AM
SteelerNation82
1st Gear Member

Did a quick search of Ford's parts catalogue, and it appears they list what they call the MAF o-ring or gasket, but it's $83.00!

I can only assume that's for a bulk pack of 20 of them lol. I'll check with a local dealer and see if this is even still available, but at that price might as well source a used one somehow.

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/Pa...&model=Mustang
Old 08-21-2015, 09:05 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

Not sure this is the exact one you need but Im using it as an example of what one might cost. This one is just about $6.

LINK

EDIT: Looks like you can get one from a Ford dealer for your make and model for $30 LINK2
Old 09-01-2015, 01:24 PM
SteelerNation82
1st Gear Member

I think I may have found a solution:

I came across some old stock of 3M double sided tape I've had laying around and it gave me an idea. I cut it to length to fit around the screen and then folded the edges over. The screen still fits in the beveled area of the air box and I was able to carefully tighten the MAF down and looks like it's created a nice air tight seal. Once I get a chance to road test I will report back.
Attached Thumbnails MAF Screen in Factory Airbox - Should this have a seal?-20150901_132344.jpg  
Old 09-01-2015, 07:51 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

looks like a clever fix, as long as it seals u are good to go
Old 09-08-2015, 12:19 PM
TfcCDR
2nd Gear Member

I wouldn't worry too much over this. The screen is just in case your air filter comes apart (it rarely happens, but does), or you drop a nut into the intake -- it protects the sensor probe from any FOD which might be drawn up the intake at high flow.
Old 09-08-2015, 03:41 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TfcCDR
I wouldn't worry too much over this. The screen is just in case your air filter comes apart (it rarely happens, but does), or you drop a nut into the intake -- it protects the sensor probe from any FOD which might be drawn up the intake at high flow.
the op wasnt worried about the screen, but rather the missing seal in that area that was allowing unmetered air to bypass the MAF

Quick Reply: MAF Screen in Factory Airbox - Should this have a seal?