V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

mustang passing the torch

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 01:09 PM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

Great idea what your doing with your son.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:42 PM
67STANGX2
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by movielover40
Great idea what your doing with your son.

thanks, well we lost out on the first one.. guy just didn't want to
move on price. it was a non-op and I would have had to pay some
fees and smog it. no biggy but he didn't want to budge on price. son is
upset but , he'll get over it.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:49 AM
67STANGX2
1st Gear Member

Old 09-04-2015, 10:50 AM
67STANGX2
1st Gear Member

well we found one!!!! 2002 mustang dark blue premium w/ tan leather interior. Has more miles than I wanted, but this thing was really clean.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:04 PM
TfcCDR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67STANGX2
the '02 thru '04. v-6 model cause that's all he can afford
What he's going to discover is that a small budget got him into the best combination he could have had.

At his age, I would put off the computer and performance stuff for a couple of years. The V6, straight off the showroom floor, has more than enough power to get into trouble with!

Have him put his money into good tires, brakes, suspension and steering -- the things that will make every mile better for him, no matter the speed he's driving.

I run the Traffic Division at a law enforcement agency in Nevada. We were given a 2000 V6 convertible Mustang (completely stock, before we added the radios, lights and other cop stuff), and have been using it for traffic enforcement. It has plenty of performance, and I was impressed enough that I went out and bought one just like it.

While we rarely get into a pursuit with it (they just stay close enough to see a violator then hand off to marked radio cars), we wrung it out pretty well in the cone course and in head-to-head we GAIN GROUND on V8 Mustangs (not to mention Dodges and Chevys) because all that extra power comes with more weight but no more traction or steering. I actually think that the weight distribution on the V6 is superior to that of the V8, giving better handling.

Edit:
Congrats on the one you found! The last thing that I would do to a kid is let them buy a nonop for their first car. The miles on this one shouldn't be an issue if you know which end of a wrench to hold, but it reinforces my suggestion of putting the money into the suspension rather than performance mods.

Dunno where you are, over there in the People's Republic, but there's bound to be a hot rod group around there with some Mustangs in it. If you get plugged into that, you can probably find advice, parts and an appreciative audience for your son's adventure.

Last edited by TfcCDR; 09-08-2015 at 12:09 PM.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:04 PM
67STANGX2
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TfcCDR
What he's going to discover is that a small budget got him into the best combination he could have had.

At his age, I would put off the computer and performance stuff for a couple of years. The V6, straight off the showroom floor, has more than enough power to get into trouble with!

Have him put his money into good tires, brakes, suspension and steering -- the things that will make every mile better for him, no matter the speed he's driving.

I run the Traffic Division at a law enforcement agency in Nevada. We were given a 2000 V6 convertible Mustang (completely stock, before we added the radios, lights and other cop stuff), and have been using it for traffic enforcement. It has plenty of performance, and I was impressed enough that I went out and bought one just like it.

While we rarely get into a pursuit with it (they just stay close enough to see a violator then hand off to marked radio cars), we wrung it out pretty well in the cone course and in head-to-head we GAIN GROUND on V8 Mustangs (not to mention Dodges and Chevys) because all that extra power comes with more weight but no more traction or steering. I actually think that the weight distribution on the V6 is superior to that of the V8, giving better handling.

Edit:
Congrats on the one you found! The last thing that I would do to a kid is let them buy a nonop for their first car. The miles on this one shouldn't be an issue if you know which end of a wrench to hold, but it reinforces my suggestion of putting the money into the suspension rather than performance mods.

Dunno where you are, over there in the People's Republic, but there's bound to be a hot rod group around there with some Mustangs in it. If you get plugged into that, you can probably find advice, parts and an appreciative audience for your son's adventure.
good stuff, I definitely remember which side of the wrench is used for on and off. LOL
we have decided to do a few mods to it
1. tires not really a mod
2. new bushing
3. new shocks
4. serpentine belt
5. flush the power steering pump
6. new rear bumper w/ exhaust cut-outs (2)
7. new front bumper Cobra conversion, comes w/ fog lamps ( a must here)
8. GT style side scoops
9. GT hood scoop
should be able to do these things in a year and a half
Old 09-09-2015, 09:18 AM
TfcCDR
2nd Gear Member

Looks like a good list. I would do the body stuff last, and other than the front bumper (and fog lights) I'd think about the fact that while he's sitting in the driver's seat, he won't see any of that stuff. He might be happier putting that money into new radio, speakers, seats, etc -- the stuff that he will constantly be seeing, feeling and hearing.
Old 09-10-2015, 06:55 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

I would hold off on the shocks/struts until you know what springs/handleing setup you want.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:51 AM
67STANGX2
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
I would hold off on the shocks/struts until you know what springs/handleing setup you want.
I understand the suspension on these "new edge" cars can be a bit confusing, depending on the set up ( like u said )

This car rocks and sways like my grandmas old 74 chevelle. A bit exaggeration. I was gonna start with the Eibach bolt on shocks and
struts. ( From CJ Pony ) I would love to do the coil-overs. But hey, its not
my car.

I basically want the car to corner a bit tighter, and when going over bumps
I want it a bit firm ( not like im skiing over moguls )

Do you have a suggestion???
Old 09-10-2015, 11:04 AM
67STANGX2
1st Gear Member

Today the pony went in for a new set of shoes, alignment and serp... belt. Also having
the power steering pump flushed and refilled. good start. The figerglass bolt ons will
have to wait awhile. Local paint shop quote 3500 bucks to do a complete job.

Quick Reply: mustang passing the torch