V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Help with dual exhaust conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 07:04 PM
comets77

Default Help with dual exhaust conversion

Hello everyone,
I have never posted anything here before so I apologize if I make any mistakes. I have recently been thinking about converting my 3.8L v6 to a dual exhaust system. I have been doing some research but could use some advice from someone with experience. I am currently thinking about buying the Pacesetter Conversion Kit (http://www.americanmuscle.com/pacese...it-9904v6.html) and picking up a cat-back from a GT (https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/pts/5275476881.html). I plan on finding a local shop to install everything since I have limited tools and experience. Will this give my car much of a performance boost without getting new headers as well? Is this plan reasonable? Would I be better off spending the money to get a new cat-back system such as the Flowmaster American Thunder instead of something used? Also, would I be better off having the shop that installs it make something similar to the Conversion Kit? I have seen mention that that is a cheaper option, but I don't want to skimp out on a few bucks and have it come apart in a couple years. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 10-27-2015, 07:30 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

The GT catback portion wont do much perf wise but the h-pipe will help gain a little due to removing the bottle neck of the y-pipe.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:51 PM
comets77

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
The GT catback portion wont do much perf wise but the h-pipe will help gain a little due to removing the bottle neck of the y-pipe.
Would a new aftermarket exhaust give more of a performance gain? Would the GT exhaust at least make my car sound better?
Old 10-27-2015, 09:13 PM
SteelerNation82
1st Gear Member

I think either way you're not going to notice a performance gain. People tend to automatically think they do because the car sounds more aggressive/louder. Personally I think even the direct bolt on Y pipe dual exhaust kits are plenty for a stock and even a lightly modified 3.8. They are 2.5" diameter throughout which is a considerable step up from the stock single exhaust and more then enough.

If you're going true duals, then stick with 2.25" max which is what the stock GT and Cobra exhausts are.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:25 PM
comets77

Originally Posted by SteelerNation82
I think either way you're not going to notice a performance gain. People tend to automatically think they do because the car sounds more aggressive/louder. Personally I think even the direct bolt on Y pipe dual exhaust kits are plenty for a stock and even a lightly modified 3.8. They are 2.5" diameter throughout which is a considerable step up from the stock single exhaust and more then enough.

If you're going true duals, then stick with 2.25" max which is what the stock GT and Cobra exhausts are.
If I have the choice between doing true dual exhaust and a y pipe dual exhaust for around the same amount of money, why wouldn't I do true dual exhaust? If I were to buy the converter and get the GT exhaust from Craigslist it would actually be much cheaper than buying a new y pipe dual exhaust. So as long as the GT exhaust from Craigslist is in okay shape, wouldn't I be better off going that route?
Old 10-28-2015, 07:02 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

No cat back system will give you a significant power gain (some systems may net 1-2 hp) , but all will change the sound of the car. True duals are always a better option over the y-pipe, unless you are running a single turbo, then you want the ypipe.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:18 AM
SteelerNation82
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by comets77
If I have the choice between doing true dual exhaust and a y pipe dual exhaust for around the same amount of money, why wouldn't I do true dual exhaust? If I were to buy the converter and get the GT exhaust from Craigslist it would actually be much cheaper than buying a new y pipe dual exhaust. So as long as the GT exhaust from Craigslist is in okay shape, wouldn't I be better off going that route?
In the end it's your call. It could be a toss up, depending how much a shop will charge you to install that GT catback. You have to keep in mind that this is also a used exhaust system and those mufflers appear to be aluminized so they do rust out eventually. You'd have to see it in person and find out how much to install and go from there.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:22 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Why would you pay someone to bolt in an exhaust system? Also the GT exhaust is all stainless including the mufflers.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:36 AM
SteelerNation82
1st Gear Member

The exhaust he's looking at is a used GT catback he found on craigs which has Flows welded on and stated that he's looking to have a shop install as he's limited with tools and mech. skill. It's not a bolt on affair if he's going the route of getting the GT exhaust installed.

Yes the stock GT exhaust is stainless (409 to be exact) but those flows are most likely aluminized and not stainless if you look closely at the pics.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:49 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

its still a bolt on exhaust.

Quick Reply: Help with dual exhaust conversion