V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Brakes not working

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 04:48 PM
Offendant

Default Brakes not working

So a couple days ago my brakes just stopped working altogether, thankfully not while i was driving, but i went to pull out of my driveway and found that when i went to hit the brakes that the brake pedal went all the way to the floor and i didn't stop, so i checked my calipers and changed them thinking that they froze up/locked up still nothing, I looked in my brake master cylinder and the fluid is pumping when i hit the brakes, I don't think its the brake booster because i use barely any force on the pedal and the brake pedal as i said goes right to the floor, i'm stumped as to what it could be, any advice/help would be appreciated.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:33 PM
88TTOPFOX

Originally Posted by Offendant
So a couple days ago my brakes just stopped working altogether, thankfully not while i was driving, but i went to pull out of my driveway and found that when i went to hit the brakes that the brake pedal went all the way to the floor and i didn't stop, so i checked my calipers and changed them thinking that they froze up/locked up still nothing, I looked in my brake master cylinder and the fluid is pumping when i hit the brakes, I don't think its the brake booster because i use barely any force on the pedal and the brake pedal as i said goes right to the floor, i'm stumped as to what it could be, any advice/help would be appreciated.
Check your brake lines/whole system for leaks. If your pedal goes to the floor and you have no brakes, there's two options.

1. You have a leak and no pressure builds to push the Pistons in your calipers to stop the car.

2. The seals have failed in your master cylinder so the pressure does not build enough to force the Pistons out.

The brake booster wouldn't cause your situation nor would a failed caliper. I'd eliminate any leaks, and replace the master cylinder if the problem persists.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:53 PM
Offendant

Originally Posted by 88TTOPFOX
Check your brake lines/whole system for leaks. If your pedal goes to the floor and you have no brakes, there's two options.

1. You have a leak and no pressure builds to push the Pistons in your calipers to stop the car.

2. The seals have failed in your master cylinder so the pressure does not build enough to force the Pistons out.

The brake booster wouldn't cause your situation nor would a failed caliper. I'd eliminate any leaks, and replace the master cylinder if the problem persists.
Don't have any leaks in the brake lines, and i replaced the master cylinder seal, when i press the brakes the brake fluid goes up and down (i did this to see if the fluid was even getting to the brakes) and i'm just stumped at what it could be.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:28 PM
88TTOPFOX

Well there isn't any other options. If the pedal goes to the floor, the fluid is either being displaced out the system or its not getting pressure.

I suppose there could be a massive air pocket in the system as well. Did you bench bleed the master? Bleed all 4 calipers? Should have a steady stream from every bleeder...
Old 11-23-2015, 08:59 PM
Offendant

Originally Posted by 88TTOPFOX
Well there isn't any other options. If the pedal goes to the floor, the fluid is either being displaced out the system or its not getting pressure.

I suppose there could be a massive air pocket in the system as well. Did you bench bleed the master? Bleed all 4 calipers? Should have a steady stream from every bleeder...
I haven't bleed brakes, so i guess there could be a massive air pocket, any advice on how i can do it properly?
Old 11-24-2015, 07:51 AM
88TTOPFOX

Couple different ways.

Ive always had best luck with two people. one in car, one working at each caliper.

1. Have person in car pump the pedal til its firm or firm as can be in your case. Have him hold pressure on pedal.

2. Open caliper bleeder screw, should spit fluid out. Once the guys foot is to the floor close the bleeder.

3. Repeat until steady stream of brake fluid comes out. Do at all 4 corners.

Make sure the master is full before starting. make sure to use some wd40/pb blaster if the calipers are old. Bleeder screws like to freeze up and break off, than you're out a caliper.

Im not sure if your car has ABS or how the system is activated, some vehicles you can/have to bleed through the ABS system, I don't believe that is the case for you though.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:58 AM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

Mine went like that and I had to replace the master,
Old 11-25-2015, 05:42 AM
88TTOPFOX

Originally Posted by Daehawk
Mine went like that and I had to replace the master,

+1 Seen it many times...
Old 11-25-2015, 06:53 PM
Offendant

So a little update, I went to bleed the front passenger side and the bleeder bolt was stripped and i couldn't get it off, any advice on how i can get it off without having to get a whole new caliper?
Old 11-25-2015, 08:28 PM
88TTOPFOX

Some PB blaster and a pair of vice grips. You may need to get the torch out...

Quick Reply: Brakes not working