V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 02:18 AM
Aaron Moya Mallow

Default exhaust

Hello, I'm new here.
I just bought a 1998 3.8 v6 from a used car lot. It has a solid motor from what I can see and hear the person who owned the car before me, put headers on it yet it is still single exhaust out and put headers on it. They took very good care of the car the interior only has a little tare in the driver seat. And I belive they replaced the convertible top,because it has a plexiglass rear window. I would like to dual the exhaust and I like the low rumble sound. Does anybody have any suggestions? Oh and it does sound really good for a v6 already. I had a Ranger dualed with glass packs and 2 1/2 inch tips. That had a low rumble to it and I would like to get that from my 98 3.8 v6. I would appreciate any feedback / suggestions. Thanks
Old 12-19-2015, 11:54 AM
Sixer4Life
1st Gear Member

First initial question would be do you have a spending limit? I myself am looking at replacing my headers and exhaust maybe on my '01 V6. Do you know if the headers they put on it are shorty or long tube? Also do you want to go H-pipe or X-pipe for the dual?
Old 12-19-2015, 12:29 PM
Aaron Moya Mallow

Default exhaust

Originally Posted by Sixer4Life
First initial question would be do you have a spending limit? I myself am looking at replacing my headers and exhaust maybe on my '01 V6. Do you know if the headers they put on it are shorty or long tube? Also do you want to go H-pipe or X-pipe for the dual?

I'm looking at the H-pipe. Because I've read that they have a deeper sound. When I had my Ranger with a 3.0 it had a k&n and was dualed with echo chambers. But I had people asking if I had dropped a v8 in it because it was so deep and had a loaping to it. That's what I want my pony to do. I'm looking to spend around $400 to $1,000. And no I don't know if they are short or long. What's the easiest way to tell?
Old 12-19-2015, 12:32 PM
Sixer4Life
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Aaron Moya Mallow
I'm looking at the H-pipe. Because I've read that they have a deeper sound. When I had my Ranger with a 3.0 it had a k&n and was dualed with echo chambers. But I had people asking if I had dropped a v8 in it because it was so deep and had a loaping to it. That's what I want my pony to do. I'm looking to spend around $400 to $1,000. And no I don't know if they are short or long. What's the easiest way to tell?

Shorty

Long tube

The long tube will have a slightly customized mid pipe as well.
Old 12-19-2015, 12:57 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

MAC products here. H pipe and long tubes plus duals . Keep in mind the long tubes are F'n low hanging and will drag on about anything unless you angle the bump.
Old 12-19-2015, 01:22 PM
Aaron Moya Mallow

Default exhaust

Originally Posted by Daehawk
MAC products here. H pipe and long tubes plus duals . Keep in mind the long tubes are F'n low hanging and will drag on about anything unless you angle the bump.
OK thanks a lot man. I will do my due diligence when my wife gets home. We've only had this 98 convertible for 2 weeks. But as soon as I heard it crank up and I drove it, I knew I had something special.
Old 12-20-2015, 12:24 AM
Aaron Moya Mallow

Originally Posted by Aaron Moya Mallow
OK thanks a lot man. I will do my due diligence when my wife gets home. We've only had this 98 convertible for 2 weeks. But as soon as I heard it crank up and I drove it, I knew I had something special.
I did a little more looking around the motor, and I belive that the headers are factory as you suggested. That being said, what are the suggestions you would have for me now? I uploaded some pictures of both sides of the headers and the cold air intake. Please take a look at them and let me know what you think. Thanks

This is as good pic as i could get of my headers on the drivers side.

And this is from the passengers side. I of course took out the transmission dip stick

Here is a good look at the cold air intake.

Heres just a look a the front side view.

Good view of the intake.
Old 12-20-2015, 12:45 AM
Aaron Moya Mallow

Originally Posted by Daehawk
Thank you for the advice on the long tubes. Should I replace the factory headers? I'm figuring that I may as well, since I'm going to replace everything else some shorties, H-pipe and what else do you suggest?
Old 12-20-2015, 07:49 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Those are stock headers. No need to replace those unless you go long tubes. Any hpipe designed for shorties will bolt up to them and work.