V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

The One And Only Exhaust Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 05:43 PM
HRnB
Administrator

Default The One And Only Exhaust Thread

Here ya go. Ask your exhaust questions or add your opinions and knowledge about exhaust systems here. [sm=smiley20.gif]

CLICK THIS PIC TO SEE A STEP BY STEP TRUE DUAL EXHAUST INSTALLATION ON AN 03 V6 MUSTANG
Old 10-22-2005, 06:16 PM
bigwille
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: The One And Only Exhaust Thread

any comments on the pypes dual exhaust http://img467.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sfm525uv.jpg
andhow does it hold up next to a magnaflow...?
Old 10-22-2005, 06:19 PM
ByPopularDemand
5th Gear Member

Magnaflow is the muffler brand and they sound nice IMO
Old 10-22-2005, 07:02 PM
Autobadges.com
Banned

For starters looking to get into exhaust here you go.

You best and cheapest bet is to get GT Takeoff exhaust kit. This means the GT's have the dual exhaust and usually swap out for a COMPLETELY new kit say from Magnaflow, Flowmaster etc...so they take off their dual exhaust kit (True Dual exhaust meaning the pipes run completely apart from each other). You buy that kit and cut off your Ypipe and run pipes straight back to line up with the GT exhaust you got. Weld them on, hang the exhaust and you have yourself truel dual exhaust on your V6.

Another reason the GT Takeoff exhaust is so great is b/c it has the 2 1/4" piping all the way through. For a stock to semi bolted on application this is what you will most benefit from. If you go any bigger with minor mods you will actually be LOSING more power than you will be gaining...which would almost be a waste of money. Don't go any bigger, say like 2 1/2" piping UNLESS you KNOW you will be beefing up the engine heavily and/or adding a blower.

After you have the GT takeoff exhaust you can then swap out the stock ford mufflers to ANY muffler that you can possible want!

Which is best for my application you ask? Well that is ultimately up to you...it is the drivers choice. Here are MY personal opinions on some mufflers I have heard.

MAC: has a very deep tone and nice up to about 3k rpms...then it gets ricey
FLOWMASTER: good deep tone, has a drone at about 2500rpms and sounds a bit better up top then MACs
MAGNAFLOW: if you want loud, these are loud, they are what I like to call SCREAMERS...not as deep and mellow but LOUD

bassani and borla are basically the most expensive ones but for reasons, they are SS and will last you longer than your car will:
BORLA: Personally I have these with side exhaust and they are amazing...they are deep, mellow and sound very mean. AT about 4k rpms they do get somewhat "v6 sounding" but not ricey
BASSANI: great low and mellow tone. They are not the AGGRESSIVE ones on the v6 as they are the v8 bc of our cylinders..but they are top quality, sound nice throughout the RPMS and will last you forever. THey are a low aggresive sound....but the only way I can describe the sound to you ....they SOUND like quality mufflers (none of that raspy, bad rumble etc)

STICK INFO HERE!
Old 10-22-2005, 10:21 PM
03YellowPony
6th Gear Member

Go with the FLOW!!!!
Old 10-23-2005, 11:54 PM
matthockey32
I ♥ Acer

you also have to decide on what kind of system you want. side exit, turn-downs, or rear exit.

side exit has to be used with specially designed mufflers or no mufflers at all. spintech makes the best side exit for mild v6s with 2 1/4 inch pipes and deep soundind mufflers. Borla makes a killer side exhaust kit, but it is pricey. www.x-pipe.com has mufflerless side exit kits that will hook up to an h- or x-pipe. these kits are really loud at WOT and will get lots of attention, the good and the bad kind. it is also the lightest exhaust kit on the market for mustangs. if you want a loud side exit kit that also looks good, go with this one

turn-downs just dump the exhaust before the rear axle, and the sound echoes underneath the car. this is the loudest setup but can drive you nuts because it will shake everything in the car.

rear exit is where the stock exhaust exits, this is the quietest system IMO. most kits are rear exit. Magnaflow, Pypes, Borla, Bassani and flowmaster are all rear exit kits.

all you have to do is decide which is best for you and what you like.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:06 PM
TattooTears
4th Gear Member

I have the Magnaflows on my V6 and I love the way it sounds. It has a really nice tone and it can get loud once you start climbing up in RPM's.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:36 PM
NewMexMustang
5th Gear Member

I think the Pypes header-back system (w/ x-pipe) is the best for the money! They sound awesome too!!
Old 10-25-2005, 07:24 PM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

booze, how much was it for ur setup, installation and parts included?
Old 10-25-2005, 07:28 PM
HRnB
Administrator

Mine was around $600.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The One And Only Exhaust Thread