V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

2000 v6 mustang having problems starting in cold weather

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 02:53 PM
majcric

Default 2000 v6 mustang having problems starting in cold weather

When the temps drop to 20 or below my mustang doesn't want to start properly. Whatever is going appears to be causing it to flood out. For example, when trying to start it in the cold weather it will make 1 big grunt like it wants to start but will not. (after the big grunt it is now flooded) You must then hold the gas pedal to the floor and crank it over and over again until it will eventually start. In warm weather it can act a bit strange on starting but very rarely and never involves the pedal to the floor and hard cranking. Note once the car is started it runs extremely well, no missing, etc.

Anyone here want to take a shot at what this could potentially be?
Old 01-14-2016, 03:27 PM
corker
1st Gear Member

I take it you you are not getting any codes - CEL not on? Is your dash temp gauge reading normal?
Below are the specs to check the readings at your Engine Coolant Temp Sensor & your Intake Air Temp Sensor. These are simple voltage and Ohm checks to make sure the PCM isn't receiving faulty data from a temp sensor.

2000 v6 mustang having problems starting in cold weather-mustang-iat-ect-specs.jpg
Old 01-14-2016, 04:26 PM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

On mine if you use a high quality gas treatment it will start right up in the winter.

Otherwise it can get flakey like yours.

Try a container of high quality fuel injector cleaner in you tank and see if it helps.
Old 01-14-2016, 04:53 PM
majcric

Originally Posted by corker
I take it you you are not getting any codes - CEL not on? Is your dash temp gauge reading normal?
Below are the specs to check the readings at your Engine Coolant Temp Sensor & your Intake Air Temp Sensor. These are simple voltage and Ohm checks to make sure the PCM isn't receiving faulty data from a temp sensor.

Attachment 42149
The check engine light is not on which I forgot to mention in the OP. The temp gauge inside does seem to be working. I will be making note of both the temp sensors.
Old 01-14-2016, 04:56 PM
majcric

Originally Posted by movielover40
On mine if you use a high quality gas treatment it will start right up in the winter.

Otherwise it can get flakey like yours.

Try a container of high quality fuel injector cleaner in you tank and see if it helps.
I only burn 93 octane and I've gas treatments but no luck. I've owned this car for a long time and it used to start great in the dead of winter. So something isn't quite right with it.
Old 01-14-2016, 05:24 PM
majcric

There is another piece of information I want to add that might help diagnose this problem. Whenever the car has set for say 6 or more hrs I have a certain method I use to prevent the flooding. This involves me turning on the key for a few seconds before trying to crank it. I will then try to crank it for just 2 or 3 secs; not trying to start it. (as this could result in the car flooding) On my second round of cranking this is where I go for it and want the car to start.

The above method fails me in the extreme cold.
Old 01-15-2016, 06:47 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

How about the battery and the battery terminals? Cold weather starts are tough on the battery. Maybe its time for a new battery.
Old 01-15-2016, 07:42 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

^This. Dont turn a small problem into a giant mess. Sometimes the simplest solutions will fix the problem.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:06 AM
superbros

Default 1996 mustang help

So I started experiencing my*rpm*rise more than usual, as if the gas were going on its own when it's on neutral or on any gear. When I'm shifting to 3rd gear...during the transition(clutch) my*rpm*goes up to 2000-3000..but then settles as the shift is changed..it happens on every shift. I cleaned out the throttle body, and replaced my iac and I don't have a vacuum leak...but what I did notice is when I disconnect the electrical part of the iac, a turn it on, the cars'*rpm*works perfect (1000)..but as soon as I connect it, it begins to rise (1,500-2000).. please help.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:57 AM
majcric

Originally Posted by 99GTvert
How about the battery and the battery terminals? Cold weather starts are tough on the battery. Maybe its time for a new battery.
I've already tried a new battery with no luck. Not one of the cheapo batteries from Walmart either. So I'm going to rule out the battery.

Quick Reply: 2000 v6 mustang having problems starting in cold weather