V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

94 2door

Old 03-06-2016, 10:15 PM
fsjrzdvl

Default 94 2door

So picked up a 94 2door for my son today. This is my first Mustang so I don't know much about them. Its a 3.8 has what's supposed to be a rebuilt motor in it (has a rebuilt title) I drove car home today 25 miles and it did fine. So off top of my head I know it'll need a few things (I'm no mechanic but I know my way around cars). First and most important the pulley for the harmonic balancer is bent so it shakes the whole engine, going to replace that first.

In no particular order I am going to rebuild the front end, new ball joints, tie rod ends, sway bar links, and unit bearings. Going to replace the rear sway bar links as well. Really as far as suspension and steering that's all I'm messing with.

I'm going to treat her to a full tune up, plugs, plug wires, air filter, fuel filter, belt, well you get it tune up stuff

I'm going to drain the tranny and swap the filter and flush the coolant system

everything else I have planned is maintenance this particular car needs. So a couple questions

does this motor have any quirks I should look for now? Same for the automatic tranny?

Will it be worth my time and $ to invest in a lower end Cold air intake and maybe higher end plugs, wires, distributer and such? Also thinking about a cat back exhaust. Not trying to make a 10 second car, just something reliable with enough get up and go to make it fun.

Right now this car is VERY sluggish in initital acceleration but will drive 60-70 (as fast as I got it) just fine and I'm hoping the above mentioned work will give it the pick up it should have.

Anyway enough for one thread, I gotta save stuff for other threads...........here she is
Attached Thumbnails 94 2door-1.jpg   94 2door-3.jpg   94 2door-2.jpg  
Old 03-07-2016, 05:50 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Rebuilt title= car was in an accident and it was repaired. Does not mean it has a rebuilt engine.

After any important mait to the engine I would skip any engine mods for the moment and jump right to the exhaust and 4.10 gears. These will be the best bang for your buck mods in that car.
I think one of the cheap things that can be done for a bit more power on the 3.8l engine is a ford split port intake swap.
check out this site for some pretty good info on what all can be done for some good power.

http://www.sn95source.com/topic/985-...doing-to-a-v6/

Last edited by dawson1112; 03-07-2016 at 05:54 AM.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:47 AM
fsjrzdvl

This car was hit but it also is supposed to have a rebuilt motor in it as well. I'm into a running driving car for $500 so can't complain too much.

I'll look into the intake. Is there a factory axle for these cars with 4.10s already installed? almost cheaper to get complete axle than do an install.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:18 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Biggest issue with the 94-98 engine is head gasket failure.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:55 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by fsjrzdvl
This car was hit but it also is supposed to have a rebuilt motor in it as well. I'm into a running driving car for $500 so can't complain too much.

I'll look into the intake. Is there a factory axle for these cars with 4.10s already installed? almost cheaper to get complete axle than do an install.
It depends on how much you wont to spend, but the ideal swap for the rearend would be a 94-98 mustang gt with 8.8 tracloc rear end, and if you can find one that somebody already swapped gears in would be better , even if its 3.55s or 3.73s. You would notice a huge difference.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:57 PM
fsjrzdvl

What axle/gears are in them from factory? 3.07s?

already ordered full front end kit, has tie-rod ends, Ball joints, and front and rear swaybar links

going to order front unit bearings today, they are cheap enough

when I tear into it I am going to look at brakes, they feel great but that doesn't tell us much

for motor/Tranny I am going to pick up a tranny filter, fuel filter, oil filter, and belt today

for tune up parts such as plugs and wires and such what would everyone reccommend? Should I just go with what Auto zone carries or should I consider something more performance oriantated?
Old 03-07-2016, 02:32 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

stock was a 2.73 rear gear 3.08 or 3.27 may have been optional.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:05 AM
fsjrzdvl

so the 8.8 is in V8s right? is it same in the V6?
Old 03-09-2016, 07:15 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

v6 came with 7.5 open diff
v8 came with 8.8 limited slip

All came standard with 2.73 gears, except cobra
Old 03-10-2016, 11:35 PM
fsjrzdvl

Ok so I have everything needed for a typical tune up, got a new harmonic balancer, and went ahead and ordered a CAI, all new front end parts (ball joints, tie rod ends, sway bar links) and a buddy gave me a Throttle body spacer. Also got a Trans filter and full synthetic Tranny Fluid. after all this is installed I'm going to start driving the car daily to work out additional bugs and find faults.
I'll post up any changes I feel. It'll be hard to say what causes what changes or if it's a combo of all parts but it cant get worse...LOL

Search this Thread