V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Strange Warm Start Issues stalling Video Included!

Old 03-22-2016, 10:08 AM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

Does it stutter and or die if you pump the brakes a bit? I had a problem that sounded like that once on a pos that was diagnosed as a vac leak but was never found. Everytime I stopped it would stutter and if I pumped the brakes it would die.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:32 PM
MustangVixenGT
2nd Gear Member

Hmmmm Interesting Daehawk, I will have to look at this more closely when I break. I do notice sometimes when I break hard or come to a stop that the RMP dips a tad, but it's not enough to kill it.

But for the most part, I think I found the issue..... I went ahead and replaced the plugs and wires and ran injector cleaner through it. It seemed to stop the problem for the most part. The car started just fine today when I stopped at Starbucks. I will need to do a few more tests with letting it sit longer again. However, I am thinking it's ok......

In other news, I did have a leak down test, and compression testing was done, and the engine checked out solid. Right in factory specs, zero issues.

Now just to figure out why my wipers like to turn randomly on when they are off...... Oh, wait.... I need to put the new weather stripping on.... lol. Pretty sure water is running down from the side windows. Although it could be the front window too... Minor details compared to the past issues though.

Thank you, everyone, for your help!
Old 04-04-2016, 02:26 PM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

I did have a leak down test, and compression testing was done, and the engine checked out solid. Right in factory specs, zero issues.
Very cool! btw, thanks for posting the solution!
Old 04-05-2016, 01:23 AM
MustangVixenGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Daehawk
Does it stutter and or die if you pump the brakes a bit? I had a problem that sounded like that once on a pos that was diagnosed as a vac leak but was never found. Everytime I stopped it would stutter and if I pumped the brakes it would die.
So I was interested in your post about the breaks. When I got home today, I sat in the driveway and pumped the breaks. It looks like it has about a 100rpm drop if I pump the breaks. Not sure if that is normal or not. So tomorrow I think I need to do the 3 part break booster test and see if something is wrong with the booster. If that checks out then, I guess I need to replace the vac lines....
Old 04-05-2016, 04:28 PM
MustangVixenGT
2nd Gear Member

The only time I notice a stutter is when I am idling and I let my foot off the break. The booster is fine I think. If I turn the car on and press down the break, shut it off wait like 30 seconds and then pump the breaks it tightens right up.
Old 04-06-2016, 02:20 AM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

100 rpm drop doesn't seem bad. Mine would die. Was an old Cavalier. They ended up just trading with me.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:55 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

It's pretty common to see a 50-100 RPM drop on the 1999 and 2000s anytime you add a small electrical load, like tail lights. The computer will pick it back up when the RPM drops more than 100 RPM. This is pretty easy to check, you may have a similar drop when you turn on your parking lights.

BTW, auto batteries fade over time, most cars start in the 1st second so we don't notice that they are nearly shot unit they can't crank any more. If you are ****, you can monitor the batteries voltage with a meter hooked to your cigarette lighter plug. Over time the cranking voltage will get lower and lower until it's close to 9V. When it gets down to 9 V, start shopping for a new battery. Both extreme hot or cold weather (Rarely seen in Western WA) will shorten the life of a battery, letting it go completely dead will ruin it.