V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Engine Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 09:36 AM
1998V6

Unhappy Engine Trouble

I was driving down the highway when my 1998 V6 started smoking from everywhere( through the air vents and hood) and every time i accelerated it slowed down even more so i pulled over and when i got it towed home all the fluids were perfect except the power steering fluid. I dont know what could be going on. Please help!
Old 05-08-2016, 10:42 AM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Welcome!
Originally Posted by 1998V6
every time i accelerated it slowed down even more
This sounds like transmission/clutch slippage. Manual or automatic?

Originally Posted by 1998V6
smoking from everywhere( through the air vents and hood) and... all the fluids were perfect except the power steering fluid.
Except for the PS fluid, EVERYTHING else was clean and at the proper level? Maybe PS fluid was squirting out onto a hot exhaust manifold.
Old 05-08-2016, 02:14 PM
1998V6

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Urambo Tauro
Welcome!

This sounds like transmission/clutch slippage. Manual or automatic?

Except for the PS fluid, EVERYTHING else was clean and at the proper level? Maybe PS fluid was squirting out onto a hot exhaust manifold.
Its Automatic. Yea everything was at its proper level. Any idea what it could be? Because that dont explain why it wont start or anything
Old 05-08-2016, 03:02 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Hold on. The list we have right now is:
  • Something was smoking
  • Transmission was slipping or falling out of gear
  • Power steering fluid is "not perfect"
  • New symptom: Engine won't start
We need more details to determine if any of these problems are related. Until then, we're just guessing.

Was the car doing anything else out of the ordinary before you pulled over? Any sounds, warning lights, or alarming gauge readings?
Can you see any evidence of what may have been smoking? Burned wires, burned hoses, evidence of fluid leakage, etc.
What is wrong with the power steering fluid? Is it low? Empty? Dirty?
What kind of no-start condition is this? What does it do and what does it not do?

Are there ANY other symptoms? The more details, the merrier. Don't leave anything out.
Old 05-08-2016, 03:30 PM
1998V6

Originally Posted by Urambo Tauro
Hold on. The list we have right now is:
  • Something was smoking
  • Transmission was slipping or falling out of gear
  • Power steering fluid is "not perfect"
  • New symptom: Engine won't start
We need more details to determine if any of these problems are related. Until then, we're just guessing.

Was the car doing anything else out of the ordinary before you pulled over? Any sounds, warning lights, or alarming gauge readings?
Can you see any evidence of what may have been smoking? Burned wires, burned hoses, evidence of fluid leakage, etc.
What is wrong with the power steering fluid? Is it low? Empty? Dirty?
What kind of no-start condition is this? What does it do and what does it not do?

Are there ANY other symptoms? The more details, the merrier. Don't leave anything out.
The transmission felt fine. The whole car felt normal, there was no lights, smell or sounds. when i try to crank it, it doesn't do anything, i have tried a new battery. Do you think that the engine is done?
Old 05-08-2016, 04:34 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

That does not necessarily mean the engine is toast. The fact that it doesn't do anything when you try to crank it tells me that the no-start problem is electrical. In fact, it's got to be in the ignition circuit, because there would have been a *click* if the solenoid was engaging.

You've already tried a new battery, so you should have plenty of power. Check your grounds and the IGN circuit. Power needs to pass through the IGN switch, the anti-theft, and the MLPS. Don't forget the fuse and the relay.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:01 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

It almost sounds like the car is running out of gas. This would explain the slowing down when pushing the throttle as well as the no start issue now.

It doesn't explain the smoke though.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:58 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

Well its a 98. Could the head have completely blown and lost all compression?
Old 05-08-2016, 10:12 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

If the head-gasket had blown, I'd expect a loss of coolant. But by the sound of it, the car has only lost power steering fluid.

Last edited by Urambo Tauro; 05-08-2016 at 10:14 PM.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:39 AM
1998V6

I'll do a compression test to see if it lost compression. It still has a half a tank of gas. I mean the V6 engine's are pretty cheap if i have to get another one (600$)

Quick Reply: Engine Trouble