V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

HELP!! 2004 ford mustang shaking, hesitating, ABS light on, and burning smell

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 11:52 AM
julieann23

Default HELP!! 2004 ford mustang shaking, hesitating, ABS light on, and burning smell

I have a 2004 ford mustang V6 convertible, 94K original miles and I am the ONLY Owner. I recently had ALOT of work done to her to make her road ready and safe for me (before the winter, the brakes went bad and I had a hesitation issue that scared me many times - felt like the car was going to conk out on me... on major highways). After sitting all winter, I took her to my mechanic to have him do a full workup – he inspected her, replacing brakes and rotors, plus many other things (all listed below). I got her back... and thought my problems were GONE... but now....

My current issues are:

1. BAD Shaking - starts after being on the road for more than 10 minutes - happens when I am going above 50mph, and sometimes stops and starts again. I can go 60-70mph for 5 minutes w/ no issue...then all of a sudden it starts to shake and pull back / slow down... scary!
  2. Slight wobble - only happens after the shaking... I noticed this when I was stopping and going in traffic - slow speed.
  3. STILL Hesitating -this ALWAYS and ONLY happens when I drop down between 1.5 and 2 RPM's - I've had this issue since last year - I asked my mechanic to give me a tune up (even though he said I didn't really need it). He installed new spark plugs, a new battery, air filter, fuel filter, and gave it an oil change.
  4. ABS light on - not sure why?
  5. Burning smell -second time I smelled this and it's the 2nd time I took my car on the road for a 45min or longer trip (this is new so it probably has something to do with the new brakes and rotors??).
What else can I have done that I haven't already? My mechanic said she was perfect and ready to go (overall inspection passed!) NOW WHAT? My husband thinks I'm crazy.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:53 PM
lincolnshibuya
1st Gear Member

is the "service engine soon" light on?
if it does go to a parts store and have them read the codes for free. (they might be able to scan the abs code too in some cases)
post the codes here.

---------------------------------------------------------
https://www.facebook.com/diyfordmustang
Old 05-25-2016, 02:58 PM
julieann23

Default No, check engine isn't on :(

No, check engine isn't on
Old 05-25-2016, 11:12 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

1. Sounds like a tie rod or something. My old Toyota did this and it was both bad idler arms and bad tie rods.
2. Bad wheel bearing?
3.Air filter? Mass air flow? TPS?
4. Definitely brake work done badly.
5. Leaking brake fluid? Rubbing or dragging brake shoe?

I swear everything you listed could be caused from a ****ty brake / wheel work. Have you considered a second opinion from another mechanic?
Old 05-27-2016, 04:14 PM
Sixer4Life
1st Gear Member

All of that sounds like brakes still to me as well... my gf has a 2013 avenger that had a locked up caliper that was doing all the same things minus the ABS light. Does the car seem to wanna stop on its own? Ever notice any smoke from anywhere?