V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Exhaust Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 11:13 PM
casper1982

Default Exhaust Issues

Having treated myself to a used Mustang V6 (early mid-life crisis), I've found that my general lack of knowledge of cars, or car maintenance in general for that matter, has come back to bite me. The car is running smoothly all things considered except for a sputtering sound coming from the exhaust system. A friend has suggested that it could be a manifold crack, leak or even that the gasket has blown, (all over my head given my limited knowledge). Does this sound like a reasonable diagnosis? And if so, what would be the most appropriate course of action? A simple repair or a complete replacement of the whole exhaust system? All advice appreciated. (Sorry for my obvious ignorance of subject matter).
Old 07-13-2016, 05:39 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

where is the sound coming from? The back middle front onf the car?
Old 07-13-2016, 12:48 PM
User 92421
IN JAIL!

you sound like you should find a nice indie shop
Old 07-13-2016, 11:16 PM
casper1982

dawson1112, It's difficult to be specific, but I would say the middle.
TRamsdell, I know you're right, but forewarned is forearmed. I'd like to go with as much info as I possibly can.
Old 07-14-2016, 07:49 AM
User 92421
IN JAIL!

I understand you wanting to be specific to the technician, that's always helpful. Ask if he/she can ride along with you, show them the problem you are talking about and they should be able to pinpoint it diagnose and repair. If it goes any other way I don't think you found a good indie shop
Old 07-14-2016, 02:42 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

What year V6? Depending on the year, your friend is probably correct. If it sounds like a machine gun that gets less loud as the car warms up, it's an exhaust leak.

If you own 99 to 01/02, they were horrid about cracking the passenger side exhaust manifold at the weld spot for the flange because the drain for the A/C was directly above it and would drip ice-cold water on it.

Ford revised the drain with a slightly bent tube starting in late 01 or 02 so that the water would drain to the side of the exhaust manifold joint. You can simply add some fuel line to the drain and secure it away from the manifold.

For repair, you can either have the manifold replaced or have a shop weld it. For the cost to Remove and Repair the manifold, you may as well just replace it. Besides, if it's rusted, they won't be able to weld it anyway.

You can check it yourself. With the car cold, and on ramps, get under it and look for the passenger side exhaust manifold flange. Make sure the car is neutral (Manual) or park (Auto) and have someone start it up. Since the exhaust system is cold you can move your hand around the flange to feel for a leak. You can have them rev the motor up a bit while you check to make it easier to locate. The exhaust will start to get hot around a minute. 30-45 seconds if you're reving it.

Here's a video to show you where exactly the flange is located. No I would not recommend JB weld. It will not hold.

Old 07-15-2016, 01:06 AM
casper1982

Originally Posted by casper1982
Having treated myself to a used Mustang V6 (early mid-life crisis), I've found that my general lack of knowledge of cars, or car maintenance in general for that matter, has come back to bite me. The car is running smoothly all things considered except for a sputtering sound coming from the exhaust system. A friend has suggested that it could be a manifold crack, leak or even that the gasket has blown, (all over my head given my limited knowledge). Does this sound like a reasonable diagnosis? And if so, what would be the most appropriate course of action? A simple repair or a complete replacement of the whole exhaust system? All advice appreciated. (Sorry for my obvious ignorance of subject matter).
Originally Posted by Derf00
What year V6? Depending on the year, your friend is probably correct. If it sounds like a machine gun that gets less loud as the car warms up, it's an exhaust leak.

If you own 99 to 01/02, they were horrid about cracking the passenger side exhaust manifold at the weld spot for the flange because the drain for the A/C was directly above it and would drip ice-cold water on it.

Ford revised the drain with a slightly bent tube starting in late 01 or 02 so that the water would drain to the side of the exhaust manifold joint. You can simply add some fuel line to the drain and secure it away from the manifold.

For repair, you can either have the manifold replaced or have a shop weld it. For the cost to Remove and Repair the manifold, you may as well just replace it. Besides, if it's rusted, they won't be able to weld it anyway.

You can check it yourself. With the car cold, and on ramps, get under it and look for the passenger side exhaust manifold flange. Make sure the car is neutral (Manual) or park (Auto) and have someone start it up. Since the exhaust system is cold you can move your hand around the flange to feel for a leak. You can have them rev the motor up a bit while you check to make it easier to locate. The exhaust will start to get hot around a minute. 30-45 seconds if you're reving it.

Here's a video to show you where exactly the flange is located. No I would not recommend JB weld. It will not hold.

00 Mustang V6 , header leak fix - YouTube
Thanks for the comprehensive overview Derf00. I can definitely now go about having this problem rectified with a little more confidence, knowledge being power and all that. Thank you to everybody for your input. I will be sure to let you know how I get on.