V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

no dash or marker lights unless i hold switch just right

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 10:10 PM
SPR1NK

Default no dash or marker lights unless i hold switch just right

Just got a 97 mustang with the v6 and I noticed that if I pulled the switch I got headlights but not dash or markers unless I pushed the switch just a little bit back in, so I bought a new switch and now it's the same thing except when I push it back in the headlights go off so I have either headlights or markers/dash but not both, what could be the problem?
Is the new switch bad, or is there something else going on?
Old 08-15-2016, 12:03 AM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Welcome!

When you replaced the switch, how did the connector look?
Old 08-15-2016, 12:07 AM
SPR1NK

As far as I saw it looked alright, but I didn't look that closely at it as I was just thinking the switch itself was the problem
Old 08-15-2016, 07:26 PM
SPR1NK

Ok, so looking at the connector the spot where the red w/ yellow stripe wire goes in is a little melty looking but not bad and the rest of the connector looks fine
Old 08-16-2016, 12:14 AM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

That plastic connector can be replaced, but it's the wires and actual connections that I was worried about. That red/yellow wire is your dimmer switch feed, so if there's evidence of it getting hot, inspect that wire and its terminal (it can be popped right out of the plastic connector). Then make sure that attaching the connector to the switch doesn't push that or any of the other terminals out.

After checking wires and connections, test switch operation, and if there's still a problem, then it might actually be the switch after all.

A couple questions:
When you say "new" do you really mean that the switch is brand new, or was it just a used replacement, like from a junkyard?
Did you have to swap the plunger shaft from the old switch to the new one?
Old 08-16-2016, 12:32 AM
SPR1NK

I'm going to buy a new connector pigtail tomorrow I think just to be sure that that is all good there, the terminal on that wire is a little burnt looking.

the switch is a new Echlin switch bought from napa, I'm not inclined to trust that its good even though its new just because I have lots of issues with napa electrical in the past.

I did have to swap the plunger from the old to the new one, why?
Old 08-16-2016, 11:09 AM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Just a hunch. Maybe it didn't seat properly or something.

While you have it out, it couldn't hurt to verify continuity between terminals in different switch positions. When I replaced my headlamp switch, one of the spades was physically loose and was causing an intermittent connection.
Old 08-16-2016, 12:18 PM
SPR1NK

I checked the original switch and the new one for continuity the way my shop manual said to and both switches checked out fine, no loose pins or anything
Old 08-16-2016, 07:46 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

Silly question but does adjusting the dimmer do anything? IIRC your year's dimmer switch for the dash lights adjusts by twisting the headlight switch.
Old 08-16-2016, 08:03 PM
SPR1NK

Adjusting the dimmer does nothing, unless I get the running lights to come on then it does what it's supposed to and dims the dash lights

Quick Reply: no dash or marker lights unless i hold switch just right