V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Bad Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 08:42 AM
lincolnshibuya
1st Gear Member

Default Bad Fuel Pump

Got my convertible towed last night from work. Suspect is fuel pump since I didn't hear it prime at all, used both keys and moved the steering and no dice. I noticed before that the gas tank area was worked on before, it has new fuel filter but not sure if the PO replaced it with a cheapo fuel pump.
Any recommendations/tips on checking and replacing the fuel pump. Planning on buying the AirTex brand.

Going to be an interesting week..
Old 11-22-2016, 12:52 PM
lincolnshibuya
1st Gear Member

I just filled the car with 10gals of fuel, is it possible to siphon out gas of the tank via the fill hole?
Old 11-22-2016, 04:50 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

Most likely no. They have a screen and anti siphon system. Least mine does.
Old 11-25-2016, 10:06 PM
lincolnshibuya
1st Gear Member

replaced fuel pump today instead of black friday shopping

It's really messy draining 10 gals of gas, I have to filter and transfer it to 2 gallon pail and put in my lincoln continental, i left 2 gals for the mustang once the fuel pump is replaced. The fuel filler neck is just a pain in the *** design, to remove it from the tank you need to move the tank all the way down to the driver side and push it that way so that it will pull out from the rubber grommet. I just replaced the whole module with another module from Airtex to speed up time.

Mustang is back in business, was wondering how common fuel pump failures are in this model, there were no signs that it's going to fail.. just happens one day..

---------------------------------------------------
https://www.facebook.com/diyfordmustang/