V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

High Idle Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 01:42 PM
DaedalusOS

Default High Idle Issue

First off, I apologize if this is in the wrong area.

The Issue:
When I first start my car, it throws itself up to 2k and stays there for a few minutes before going down to ~1100 rpm. When I'm rolling up to a stop sign or stop light, I'll usually take it out of gear and coast up to a stop. The entire time, if I'm holding in the clutch or not while it's not in gear at all, it's stuck at 2k. It only goes down when I finally come to a stop. When I'm going to shift up as well, I release the gas pedal, push in the clutch, and take it out of gear. At this point, it usually jumps up by about 300-500 rpm before I put it in the next gear. This morning I was able to downshift into 3rd without giving it any gas what so ever, and it was butter smooth, so that's how much it's jumping up when I take it out of gear... (I usually rev match when I downshift)

I'm not the car guy obviously, so it's mostly been my friend that has been helping me with this issue. When we started to fiddle around with the MAF like unplugging it, eventually a check engine light came on. We got a code reader, but it's been a real bitch and doesn't like to stay connected long enough to show us all the codes. We got one about the Mass Airflow Sensor, so I went out, bought a brand new one, put it in the car, and it's still doing it. It helped out a bit, but it's still high RPM's when not in gear.

Any idea whats going on guys? If you need any more information or I messed something up, please let me know, I'll try to help out as much as I can.
Old 11-26-2016, 09:30 AM
lincolnshibuya
1st Gear Member

I'll try clean the idle air controller valve (iac) most of the time if it needs replacement only motorcraft properly works, other aftermarket ones are a hit and miss thing.

---------------------------------------------------
https://www.facebook.com/diyfordmustang/