V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

2002 Ford Mustang temp gauge stuck below C, no heat, car wants to die

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 02:39 AM
Shocky

Default 2002 Ford Mustang temp gauge stuck below C, no heat, car wants to die

I was driving home tonight and my temp gauge dropped to nothing, way below C. Then the car started sputtering like it wanted to die. I cranked the heat on max and it gave some life to it and I kept going (no idea where I heard this before, but it worked, when I turned the heat off it started to die again).

I drove it like this for maybe 10 minutes because I was stuck in the middle of nowhere and didn't want to be stranded, a minute away from home the car starts making some odd noises and white smoke starts shooting through the cabin and out of the hood. I managed to get it in the driveway but it's too dark to take a look at it.

My first guess is the temperature gauge is stuck or broken. I popped my hood and shined my light and the entire engine bay is covered in I think antifreeze? water of some sort, not a good sight. It looks like one of the hoses cracked and blew coolant all over everything. Or maybe it's the water pump?

I need some good news

Doing a little bit of internet mechanic, I don't think it's the head gasket. The oil doesn't appear milky or ****ed up, but what do I know? Here's a few pics, that hose has a gaping hole in it. [PICTURES](http://imgur.com/a/T6YPw)
Old 11-27-2016, 05:55 PM
lincolnshibuya
1st Gear Member

first thing is to replace the hose and refill with coolant, hopefully the head gasket is ok after you drove it without coolant.

time to inspect the condition of the other hoses and replace them.

---------------------------------------------------
https://www.facebook.com/diyfordmustang/