V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

99 V6 Mustang loud squealing sound from engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 06:43 PM
relentless85

Default 99 V6 Mustang loud squealing sound from engine

1999 Mustang 3.8L V6 Has a loud squealing sound coming from the engine. Sounds like it is coming from the front area of the engine. I replaced the water pump and power steering pump about 2 years ago thinking that was the issue but the squealing never really went away and is now getting worse.

I also thought it was one of the pulleys or tensioner, so I put a screw driver to my ear to each one of them but I don't think that is the issue.

I did some more research and found several posts about the cam position sensor might be wore out and causing the issue.

I have a video of what exactly the noise sounds like. It tends to do it more when it is cold out than warm.

Do you think this noise could be related to the CPS wearing out? The engine has 147K on it.

Video of squealing sound:
Old 12-09-2016, 06:52 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

My first thought was belt but after seeing / hearing the video Im sticking to tensioner pulley.
Old 12-09-2016, 06:58 PM
relentless85

Originally Posted by Daehawk
My first thought was belt but after seeing / hearing the video Im sticking to tensioner pulley.
I thought it was the pulley also, but put a long screw driver on the pulleys, and I didn't hear any high pitched noises or abnormal grinding coming from them. I especially thought it was the top pulley.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:25 AM
Stepman
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by relentless85
I thought it was the pulley also, but put a long screw driver on the pulleys, and I didn't hear any high pitched noises or abnormal grinding coming from them. I especially thought it was the top pulley.
pull the belt off and run it. If it still squeals, it's in the motor. If not, take a closer look at the pulleys...while the belt is off.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:29 AM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

Take the belt off and start the engine when cold, but only for a minute so as not to overheat the engine. If the noise goes away, then you'll know it is not coming from the engine but from one of the accessories. Did you replace the belt?