V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

2003 Blowing starter fuse

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 03:26 AM
SteveL
1st Gear Member

Well, it is not the starter relay. I replaced that when I installed the push button. She is very thankful for the push button, she went to the movie last weekend with some friends and it once again blew the fuse. She was able to start it without the embarrassment of having a dead car, and more importantly was not stranded. Next step is to replace the starter switch. I have a new switch and if I have time will do that tomorrow.
I am still puzzled, but have decided a switch problem is likely. When the fuse blows sometimes I replace it and it works right away. The last time the fuse blew she replaced it and blew the new fuse. She replaced it again and blew the fuse right away. She then called me. I got there and replaced the fuse and it blew right away. I replaced it again and it worked. I had not messed with any wires, and was standing outside of the car when I reached in and turned the key. I think if it were a wire shorting out it would not "fix itself" after blowing 4 new fuses.
I was at the U-pull it junk yard last week and got a couple of fuses. They have ziplock bags that you can fill for 3 dollars, for nuts and bolts or whatever small items are not on their regular price list. My wife and daughter decided to fill one with fuses, so I now have a large ziplock bag full of fuses and relays. She can blow the fuse a couple hundred times before I run out of fuses!
Still stumped on this one, now her power windows are not working right. (see my latest post on the power windows.)
Old 04-25-2017, 03:40 AM
SteveL
1st Gear Member

I have not posted in a while, been busy. It has been over a month since she has blown a fuse! Also, the car is going into OD now, it wasn't before. So, that kind of tells me maybe the problem is in the shift position sensor/neutral safety switch?
Tomorrow I should have the new window motor I ordered. The back seat drivers side window motor is bad, so I will replace it for her. Does anyone know, can I pull the motor off the regulator with it still in the car? I can get to the motor and remove the bolts with it in the car, just not sure if it is safe or if the regulator will unload and break the glass or something. A year or two ago I ended up with 7 or 8 stitches in my finger pulling a motor off the regulator on our expedition. There is a lot of pressure on it when the motor comes off and the spring unwinds!
Finally, she now has a squeal under the hood when cold. I heard it once, but when I try to duplicate the sound or find it to figure it out, it runs quiet as can be. I am guessing a dry running idler pulley, just need to figure out which one.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:16 AM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

I had a good video marked for window motor replacement since I need to do that too but I cleaned up my bookmarks last week and killed a few I really wanted to keep...and that was one.

I did find this online.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:28 PM
SteveL
1st Gear Member

Good videos. I did the front window motor in her Mustang a few months ago. I think it took about an hour to an hour and a half. I don't remove the glass like the guy in the video did, I brace it up with wood. If I remember right I used a chunk of broom handle and poked it through one of the holes in the inside of the door. Maybe I used a 2x4 inside, I don't remember.
The regulators are a little tricky to get out. Once you get it free from the glass it just takes a lot of patience.
I have done a lot of window motors with the regulator out, but didn't know if I could do it with the window in on her back window. The motor is on the outside of the regulator, right where it can easily be reached, I just didn't know about the spring pressure. This video looks like it can be done. Bought the motor today, tomorrow or Saturday will tackle the back window.
A few things to think of, it helps a lot to have a helper to hold the glass and move it up or down out of your way while removing the regulator. If the car has a frame around the window I just tape the glass to the frame with masking tape, but Mustangs do not have this.
Another thing to remember, he said the spring is loaded with a lot of pressure. It is a LOT of pressure! I use vice grips to hold the regulator from unloading, then when I do remove the motor I stay back, step on the regulator to hold it from unloading, and pop the motor off with a LONG stick. Here is what happened once when I was not paying attention and was holding one bar of the regulator while I popped the motor off. Lucky to still have my booger hook! Yeah, I had to take a picture while they were sewing it up.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:33 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

I had planned to do mine until I found out my year has the windows riveted to the motor and such. No way to get them off at home I have no tools. My mechanic said he would replace the entire thing for I think $250.

Bout broke my window the other day. I had accidentally hit my switch instead of the passenger side. So when I got out and closed my door the window was too high and smacked the top of the car and was bowed out. Scared me. I had to wiggle it down some. Im very lucky it stays in place by itself until I can fix it. Plastic sucks if I had to use it.

Last edited by Daehawk; 04-27-2017 at 12:55 AM.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:18 PM
SteveL
1st Gear Member

I replaced the motor in my mothers thunderbird a few years ago. It had the rivets to drill out. It is easy to do, but you do need a drill, drill bits and a long thin drift punch.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:00 AM
SteveL
1st Gear Member

Well, I spoke too soon! A couple of days ago I rode with my daughter to the store. When we came out she went to start the car. Turned the key and nothing. So, she just said well.... then reached down and pushed the handy little push button and away we went.
I am wondering if it is water intrusion somewhere? The first times it blew it was raining outside. The next time she had just washed the car. But then the next several times it happened it was dry and warm, not raining but it was within a few days of when it had rained. It has been dry for several weeks and she has had no problem. So, I wonder if it is getting water somewhere? I have looked and can not find any sign of water or corrosion.
I have a new ignition switch to put in it, I just haven't done it yet. Waiting for warm weather.