V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

1998 Belt Slides off idler pulley

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 04:32 PM
UTWY

Default 1998 Belt Slides off idler pulley

So recently my serpentine belt has been making a knocking sound, so I popped the hood and saw that the belt comes at the idler pulley at an angle, sometimes popping off the idler then snapping back on to it.

Some pictures of how the belt looks right now. Do I need to replace the idler, tensioner? Appreciate any help.
https://imgur.com/gallery/HDvVx
Old 03-16-2017, 10:51 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Welcome!

The pulley alignment looks okay from here, so there's gotta be something going on with that idler. Take the belt off and inspect the pulley. Make sure that the bolt is tightened all the way, and that there is no play in the pulley bearing. It should spin freely in place, but not move in any other way.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:24 PM
UTWY

I've read in some places that the pulley's bolt is the opposite of "righty tighty lefty loosey", is that true? (This is my first car, don't want to do anything to mess her up) I've gotten some advice to replace the pulley itself, as it appears there's some wear on it. I'll probably do that once I hit up my local auto parts store.

Thank you for the welcome!
Old 03-17-2017, 09:42 AM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

The idler's a standard right-hand thread. I think some tensioners are attached with left-handed bolts, but I'm not sure if that's the case here.

Before going to the parts store, you should take a minute to check the other pulleys to see if they're on their way out. Not all of them are going to spin freely, but you can still check for wobble.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:21 PM
UTWY

Alright, I checked the other pulleys and they're okay. I got a new idler pulley, but the bolt isn't wanting to come off. It is pretty rusted, but is there any technique for getting that bolt off if it's not willing to cooperate?
Old 03-17-2017, 03:01 PM
daves2001

With any stubborn fastener there are some simple things to try:
Apply a spray lube and let it soak into the threads.
Use the correct tool for the fastener - In this case the right size socket is preferred next maybe the right size box end wrench. Depending on access space an impact grade socket and impact gun are also a good option. Try a long breaker bar and socket. There is not one trick to removing tight and rusted fasteners but using the spray lube and a hefty correct tool is a good way to approach the problem. Good luck.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:45 PM
UTWY

Originally Posted by daves2001
With any stubborn fastener there are some simple things to try:
Apply a spray lube and let it soak into the threads.
Use the correct tool for the fastener - In this case the right size socket is preferred next maybe the right size box end wrench. Depending on access space an impact grade socket and impact gun are also a good option. Try a long breaker bar and socket. There is not one trick to removing tight and rusted fasteners but using the spray lube and a hefty correct tool is a good way to approach the problem. Good luck.
I'll definitely try these when I can! Thank you.
Old 03-18-2017, 01:05 PM
mrwitty_1

Also after spraying with a good penetrating fluid, I prefer PB Blaster, tap the end of the fastener with a hammer many times, the vibration will allow the penetrate to pass thru the threads. Works every time !
Old 03-18-2017, 04:20 PM
UTWY

Originally Posted by mrwitty_1
Also after spraying with a good penetrating fluid, I prefer PB Blaster, tap the end of the fastener with a hammer many times, the vibration will allow the penetrate to pass thru the threads. Works every time !
Heading to Wal-Mart in a little bit for some PB blaster! Thank you!
Old 03-18-2017, 04:39 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

Seems everyone has a favorite for everything. Me I prefer Kano Kroil but its more expensive. Works great though.