V6 General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to V6 Mustangs.

Stuck and need some help from my V6 buds

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 04:59 AM
xX98StallionXx
5th Gear Member

Default Stuck and need some help from my V6 buds

Ok, im stuck in a bit of a rut.
As of late my grades arent too grand and so per my driving privilege deal with my dad if im not getting a 3.0 my priviledges are revoked. So that leaves me with a multitude of options and to every negative theres a few positives depending on how you look at it. I just got a job and will be making a pretty good amount. Now that leaves me with those options.

1. Keep my mustang, keep paying insurance and not driving it for about a month or so. But save up money and put mod after mod on it while im not filling it up etc.
2. Sell my mustang for every cent that its worth and use that money to buy a car with more power.
3. Use the money from selling my mustang+whatever i have saved to buy a Later bodystyle Fox with a 5.0 and mod it with what i have (insurance probably wont raise too much if i got quoted bout the same rate on a late80s Camaro with a V8 it should be the same im guessing)
4. Use the money to buy a 70s Camaro and mod it with whatever ive got left.

Now gas for sure would cost me more on both of them, but if ive got a steady income it shouldnt be too much of a problem earning a fair wage. The same goes for insurance although i can see it costing MORE for me to get the Camaro.

My big question is what choice do you think would be the best formy situation, financially and rationally. Im just looking for more power and that sweet V8 rumble, i understand this car wont last a life time, but what qualitydomestic sports/muscle cardoes lol?and btw id be making ABOUT $700+ (give or take)a month IF and only if i get all the hours i requested and work almost full time on the weekends.

So the reason i ask you (even tho i realize this is rather off topic) is because i trust all you and know all you a lil bit better than those in the off topicsectionor in the GTsectionand so on.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:25 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Stuck and need some help from my V6 buds

Well if it were me I probably would sell her and get a 99+ GT or a 96-98 Cobra.
You can probably get 4-5k easily out of your car and a 96-98 Cobra will cost about $7-8k depending on where you shop. A 99+ GT has come down quite a bit too to right around 8-10k.

Now I said that I would because I already have my projects and more than enough stangs in my corral right now. It may not be wise for you. You need to ask yourself if you can make the extra $2-4k to get one of those cars and how long it will take you.

Shopping around is very imporant, you will get screwed every time you go to a dealership and they try to act like they are doing you a favor because they paid some kid min wage to clean your car and do a lube check. The last time I went in to look at Mach1's the guy tried to justify a 27,000 dollar 60k mile Mach1 that had some crappy american racing rims on it "But Sir, we detailed the car and changed the fluid, that there is worth the extra cost." I told him to get his *** on ebay and check them out for $15-20k. He said he would buy each one that he say on ebay for that price because he cant get them that cheap.

I asked him to let me open up my e-bay on his computer and he refused and proceded to say that those were private high risk sellers that dont have warenties. I then asked him why the car said it was As-Is and he said "Oh we dont give a warenty direct from us, its factory." I pointed out that almost all on ebay had factory warenties. Then I left.

Private sellers are the best place to shop, always and forever

As for the Camaro thing, I wouldnt touch a camaro unless it was a 67-73. My fav being the 70 1/2 RS-SS with the split bumper. Now that is nice!!! ( I miss my Chevelle ) Now if you had the money I would suggest a 98+ Z28/SS

But honestly I cant see myself owning another chevy for a long time. There are two cars I am going to try to go after and thats in, one being stupidly high in price and the other yet to come. Im talking about the Ford GT andthe NEWChallenger.

best of luck with your choice.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:55 AM
jthorn9
The Godfather

GET YOUR GRADES UP #1 priority.

Do whatever you want to do man. You always talk of building your sixer into a show car, but at the same time you crave more power, so that ones up to you. I will remind you of this, it will be very hard to find an old foxbody or camaro in good enough shape to be worth buying, then there's always gonna be the cost of making some type of repair, and your current car is running just fine and you know what it's problems are and aren't.

Now as you know, I took the gamble with my old V6 and bought my 95 5.0, I got real lucky on some things, but I had to pay, and am still paying, out the wazoo just to keep the car in great working order. Now mine isn't stock, so that causes some problems right there, and all of the problems were caused by the dumb previous owner, and that's a risk you're gonna have to take if you go that route. You know what my decision was, so now it's time to make yours.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:36 AM
gxszone
2nd Gear Member

I say you keep saving, thenwhen you have saved over $5,000, suddenly, you will no longer want to buy a car and will choose to keep saving.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:38 AM
jthorn9
The Godfather

That's not true, when I hit $5000 I bought my 5.0.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:00 AM
gxszone
2nd Gear Member

Well if I had a dull red v6 I would've bought a new car as well - lol
Old 05-09-2007, 11:01 AM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Correction, dull, SLOW ***, red v6.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:13 PM
xX98StallionXx
5th Gear Member

Ok thanks for you input thus far guys. Also the reason i dont want to get a newer mustang is because Im lookin to keep it cheap and from my understanding theres alot of parts out there for foxbodies and classic stangs, id be fine with either one. Right now i just want a car with more muscle persay and i know my grades are important and they have risen but right now is my saving point, right now im saving my money and, i was just wondering if by the time my grades are back, if it would be a better idea to buy the Camaro or the Fox and just work on them since their more primative and i feel id probably learn more if i could do alot of the work myself, plus ive got three buddies with 70s/80s camaros and they know the engine pretty well so i could team up with them on some ideas. Also i ask because my school is FULL of mustangs, two classics, a 98 cobra, v6, vert, and numberous s197 GTs. So just thought A. getting something out of the norm would be fun, B. getting more power would be fun C. having a car that was more accessible would be the best of all.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:21 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

The S197 has become too insanly popular and compedative pricing has put one in every kids hands that has a willing parent. LOL

Always work on your grades dude, I thought that was a given
Old 05-09-2007, 07:40 PM
xX98StallionXx
5th Gear Member

well yes, my grades are increasing, but the selling would happen during the no driving period and the modifying and what not, and then id insure it when i get enough saved and THEN id drive it, over the summer and next year. Make it better that it was when i got it and sell it for more before i go to college.

Quick Reply: Stuck and need some help from my V6 buds