V6 General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to V6 Mustangs.

Rant on slow sixxer

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 01:56 AM
eaglecatcher
3rd Gear Member

Default Rant on slow sixxer

I still can't for the life of me figure out why these mustangs are so damn slow. Mine is a 98, and its got a 3.8L v6, thats a monster engine by normal standards, yet its slower than a ****ing accord. I mean, why did ford not charge people a little more on the base price, and make use of the massive amount of displacement they have, instead of slacking off and making a ridiculously slow car. I mean, a 9 second 0-60 time is pathetic. You've got Nissans with much smaller engines, like the 300ZX has a 3.0L V6, and its got 222hp, the Maxima has 3.5L V6 making 255hp, and the 350Z has a 3.5L v6, and it makes over 300hp. Hondas Accord 3L V6 makes 244hp. That car is an econo sedan, that is faster than my car, and gets better gas mileage. I don't see why someone would buy a mustang over the rest of the cars out there. Well, you ask why did i buy one then? I'll tell you. I turned 16, and my parents offered to buy me a car. I just took whatever car they would get me, and a mustang was the only car oferred that I really liked (I didn't know anything about how terrible they were), so I took it. Far be it from me to turn down a free car.

I was called unpatriotic in another thread for saying I'd rather buy a 15 year old 300ZX than a Mustang, and that I'd rather pay the repairs on such an old car than drive a new car that is horribly designed. Ford made one of the crappiest cars (excluding the pinto, yugo, etc). The engine is extrmeely underpowered, I coudl get better fuel efficiency driving a V8 Corvette, and the solid rear axle is the worst idea since fart cans on civics. I'm sorry, but these cars are just terribly engineered, and are the least bang for the buck out there. Feel free to complain all you want, but in the end, the only reason the mustang sells is because people know its name. There is no car behind the name anymore, all you buy is the name when you buy a mustang.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:10 AM
wmrcer
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Rant on slow sixxer

i totally agree....i almost got one for 3000......had the cobra rims,exhaust already and thought it was a great deal.....but THANK GOD I DIDNT...
Old 06-08-2007, 02:15 AM
02MustangV6DD
4th Gear Member

Ford really made the Yugo? That was the first car i ever drove, and it was a small peice but it still runs to today and we treat it like ****. Thats not unpatriotic at all, i belive if you dont buy American youare not helping your own country. But what in 98 Would you rather have? Whats the price differences? The V6 isnt made to go fast, its made to sell
Old 06-08-2007, 02:18 AM
amrcnidyot
6th Gear Member

wtf, they may not be the best cars ever but your comparing cars made today to a car made over10 years ago....uhhh BIG difference
Old 06-08-2007, 02:18 AM
Chr1s46536
2nd Gear Member

Yea and all those cars you mentioned cost more tard......... These cars arent slow for how inexpensive they are. If you look at how much the cars cost new, the more expensive the car, the faster it probably is. Just like some ferraris may have a much smaller displacement that a 350 chevy but which is faster? Its not about size of the engine, you get what you pay for. Dont expect a cheap car to be fast no matter how big the engine is........
Old 06-08-2007, 02:24 AM
85GTsleeper
4th Gear Member

first of all the pinto was a badass car. second the 6 isnt made to go fast stock its there for price and better economy then the v8. and no they dont buy them for the name. thats why people buy camaros [8D]
Old 06-08-2007, 03:54 AM
eaglecatcher
3rd Gear Member

ok I may be comparing it to newer cars, but the maximas made at the same time are still a ****load faster than my car. NO ford didn't make the yugo, but thats a pretty sad car nonetheless. I was just using the new cars for comparison, but I'll fidn the numbers for the old cars. Regardless, just about any V6 ever made is more powerful than the ford 3.8 in the mustang. It handles like crap, and its slow as a ****. I know guys with V8's that get about the same, just a tad worse mileage than my V6. Why would you buy a car thats slow, and gets bad gas mileage? Pick one or the other. If your car gets bad mileage, at least have it be fast. I could drive a slow car, if it got good gas mileage no problem, but I can't deal with having bad mileage and bad performance. Ok, the 98 Maxima made 190hp, adn 205 torque. Better numbers froma smaller engine. The 98 camaro makes 200hp and 220 torque with the same size engine. Theres something wrong here. If you've got two engines the same size, and both cars cost about the asme, why is one a hell of a lot faster than the other? Bad engineering. the Z31 300ZX (older version), made in the 80's, made 160hp. thats 10 years earlier, and it makes more horespower, from a smaller engine, and gets better mileage. The Z32 3.0L V6 made 222hp. It made more power, yet came out 8 years earlier than my car. yes it cost more, but due to depreciation, I can buy one of those for the same price as a 98 V6, so they are equal comparisons.

The least ford could have done was used a smaller engine and gotten better fuel economy and the same power. They just continue to sell cars because people don't know any better. Out of all the cars made in 98, I"d rather have just about anything besides a mustang. Heck, I would honestly rather drive a Civic than this. I could save so much more money on gas, get similar performance, and save more money so I can sell this POS and buy a 300ZX in a couple years.

Old 06-08-2007, 03:54 AM
Tiny1987

plus import cars are smaller and lighter than domestic look at the weight of your car on the door sill tag, its pretty high and look at the size difference mustangs are long cars with a lot of heavy parts, an import is small and made light so that it is more fuel efficient and i think that if you have two cars with the exact same displacement but ones smaller and lighter which do you think will be faster?
Old 06-08-2007, 03:57 AM
eaglecatcher
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Tiny1987

plus import cars are smaller and lighter than domestic look at the weight of your car on the door sill tag, its pretty high and look at the size difference mustangs are long cars with a lot of heavy parts, an import is small and made light so that it is more fuel efficient and i think that if you have two cars with the exact same displacement but ones smaller and lighter which do you think will be faster?
true as well. imports are smaller, lighter, TURN BETTER (even my dad's Yukon has a tighter turn radius than my mustang), and are faster and get better mileage. There are damn Jap/Korean SUVS that get better gas mileage than my mustang.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:00 AM
cobra232
5th Gear Member

OK here is a good comparasion. take an 88 305 IROC and race it with the 98 3.8. they will run pretty much the same. i outran an 87 350 TA by about 1 car when my 98 was stock.

yeah the singleports were slow but for a reason. the V8's were not that fast and if they made the V6's faster then who would buy the V8???

all the cars you mention cannot even come close to the power potential of the 98 3.8L ford engine.

get over the fact that you bought a base model that doesn't run 13.5

Quick Reply: Rant on slow sixxer