V6 General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to V6 Mustangs.

Is this the right way to go about doing it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 04:34 PM
HamMach1
5th Gear Member

Default Is this the right way to go about doing it?

My friend just got an new edge V6 and immediatly told me he is going to do exhaust and then turbo it...
I can't seem him gaing very much without practically ANY supporting modifications done, though I could be wrong.

I have no idea how much boost he plans on running. This is his 4th car in the last year so I'm not expecting this one to last very long because this guy doesn't know how to drive properly and take care of his cars.

Whats are the typical supporting mods for a V6 to build up to a turbo. I fear for this poor mustang (his 2nd one)
Old 03-15-2008, 05:35 PM
NYstang
MF Staff Snitch

Default RE: Is this the right way to go about doing it?

he would need a good tune, at minimum. he COULD be good from there...as long as he doesnt try runnng more then maybe 11lbs of boost. from there, the stock rearend will grenade, trans will start slipping eventually, and at some point the engine will give out if he beats the crap out of it
Old 03-15-2008, 09:26 PM
cwyates4
3rd Gear Member

Starting with a turbo isn't a horrible idea, but I would turbo then do exhaust, as the exhaust will have to be modified most likely after the turbo install.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:18 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

This guy has the cart in front of the horse. If he drops $$ on exhaust, it will be redone again with a turbo. The only turbo set ups worth having (in kit form) are Andy's (TMA). His come with fuel system upgrades. The stock rear and tranny will be weak links, but even on a fully stock mustang.... as long as you have a good fuel pump, large enough injectors and matching MAF, you can boost it up to about 350 hp on a moderate tune.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:38 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Once he has the $6000-8000 needed to properly do a turbo with all supporting mods and some play room, get back with us, because we all know that a lot of people "plan" to install this stuff on their cars, but only 2% or lower actually do.