V6 General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to V6 Mustangs.

Powder Coat stock rims?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 11:29 PM
GotOrange17
1st Gear Member

Default Powder Coat stock rims?

So I currently just have a set of stock 16" rims. I want to buy new tires and rims for my mustang... eventually. The tires i have now will probably need replaced by winter but id kinda like to use those tires for winter and I want to buy a set of Nitto Invo's and just put them on my rims now and switch them by winter time. I want black rims but I really cant afford to get them right now. I just thought if i have the stock rims powder coated black that wouldn't look bad plus itd save me money for a while. My friend has a 2006 Dodge Ram and he did this to his rims and it looks fine. Also his dad owns a tire bussiness so he can get me a good price on the tires. Where would be a good place to take them to get coated or has anyone else done this to their stock rims and how did it turn out?
Old 05-08-2010, 12:08 AM
sonicx
speed'n

Originally Posted by GotOrange17
So I currently just have a set of stock 16" rims. I want to buy new tires and rims for my mustang... eventually. The tires i have now will probably need replaced by winter but id kinda like to use those tires for winter and I want to buy a set of Nitto Invo's and just put them on my rims now and switch them by winter time. I want black rims but I really cant afford to get them right now. I just thought if i have the stock rims powder coated black that wouldn't look bad plus itd save me money for a while. My friend has a 2006 Dodge Ram and he did this to his rims and it looks fine. Also his dad owns a tire bussiness so he can get me a good price on the tires. Where would be a good place to take them to get coated or has anyone else done this to their stock rims and how did it turn out?
GotOrange17, im not from ohio nor have i been there but check theses guys out: http://www.wheeldoctorohio.com/

Idk if your close to there shop but they'll point you in the right direction. Good luck
Old 05-08-2010, 12:14 AM
GotOrange17
1st Gear Member

Sonicx- Hey, thanks! i havent heard of them before but im not too far from cincinnati about 45 mins to an hour so i will check them out! thanks again!

Originally Posted by sonicx
GotOrange17, im not from ohio nor have i been there but check theses guys out: http://www.wheeldoctorohio.com/

Idk if your close to there shop but they'll point you in the right direction. Good luck
Old 05-08-2010, 12:19 AM
sonicx
speed'n

Yea... man no problem. Sounds like you have a good idea on a way to make the car look good while saving money.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:35 AM
torchred02
3rd Gear Member

i spraypainted my 16 inch stockers. paid like 80 bucks in supplies but they lasted over two years and still look good. nobody knew they were spray painted.

powdercoating will give you even better guality i think and will last much longer. a local shop charges 60 buck a wheel. 80 if he has to take off tires.

but i say go for it. i think it will look good
Old 05-08-2010, 08:48 AM
Shaunmac9128
6th Gear Member

Yeah its going to be close to $100 a wheel, plus new tires, your pratically looking at the price of new rims anyway. You can find the 99-04 GT "starfish" rims with decent tires for under $400 usually and they are lightweight for 17 inch rims. You could also wait for some 17 or 18inch bullits, fr500's, gt-4's to pop up in the for sale section, they come around pretty often with tires for under $800. I got my 03/04 cobra rims with brand new tires for $650, less than you'd pay for powdercoating your stock rims and new tires probably. Deals are out there. Basically, the stock rims don't cut it. When I had mine lowered sitting on the stock rims I didn't think it looked bad, until I upgraded. Then you realize how much better some nicer/bigger rims make the car look.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:35 AM
GotOrange17
1st Gear Member

Dang I didnt think itd be that much to do i figured like $200 for the set but ill have to call and get an estimate. I thought about the spray paint too and I just didnt know how it would hold up. It'll probably be about a month before i do anything so it'll give me time to decide plus ill have more extra cash by then.
Old 05-08-2010, 03:06 PM
torchred02
3rd Gear Member

i agree with shaun... i didnt think my 16 inchers looked bad at all, but when i got the 17s i loved the difference.
Old 05-08-2010, 03:09 PM
SkyStang06
2nd Gear Member

maybe if you post up a pic of your car in the Chop Shop section, someone can photoshop your rims black

-Arie
Old 05-08-2010, 10:58 PM
GotOrange17
1st Gear Member

Torchred- well ill prolly go with 17's eventually but btw i like what you've done to your car its really sharp.

ok well thatd be great i need to upgrade my computer it always messes up when i try to use photoshop.

Quick Reply: Powder Coat stock rims?