V6 General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to V6 Mustangs.

My 98 Project Daily Driver

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 12:50 AM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Sounds good. The engine bay will clean up nicely if you use some simple green mixed with water and a few rags, a sponge, and soft brush. Then use a water hose just to rense off the engnine. You can use tower to dry. Then if you want, armorall the pastic and rubber hoses and that'll make it look really pretty. The upper intake can be polished up to a mirror finish, but will take a whole day of your time to do so. I can tell you how, but in short you will need a drill and polishing equipment.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:53 AM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Here's a good write up on how to polish it by hand, but you can use a drill bit with sanding tips to do the same thing. But you will still need the smaller bits to get in the tight spots.

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...ine-parts.html
Old 03-07-2011, 11:34 AM
Blue07V6
2nd Gear Member

Its going to be a PITA. My 07 was every bit as clean as the day it left the showroom floor. I just never let the engine get dirty, The reaction when I lifted the hood was WOW, thats clean. Long way to go with this one, ans pait has peeled off the brackets, If I do instal an underdrive pulley I will take time to remove all the brackets and paint them. Long way to go with this little car,

Somehow the name "La Rouge" keeps coming to mind. First few days I had is I called it my "little red wagon" but people found that too hard and/or annoying to say, so they started calling it LRW, and it ended up sounding similar to "La Rouge". If im correct thats "The Red" in French. I like that name, lot better than what I called the 07. Anyway............ Ill get there sooner or later. Lot of elbow greese. May swing by a shop a friend of mine has, he does custom detailing, body work, sound systems, rims, you name it. Should be able to pick up some valuable tips if I run into any trouble.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:14 PM
Blue07V6
2nd Gear Member

Well went to check the fluids today and made a horrifying discovery, apparently I never notices the battery tray was broken (it was very brittle, not sure when it broke) The battery slid over and got a hole rubbed through it by the power steering pump pulley. So, Today I went by Exide and bought a new battery ($57) and went through wrecking yards until I found a 96 3.8 Mustang with a noce stout battery tray, then purchased it for $16.01 total. Bad day but at least I caught it soon before I was stranded. Maybe by the end of the week my stuff will start coming in and I can get the headlights, sattelite radio, and grille emblem in.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:30 PM
Blue07V6
2nd Gear Member

Filled up and calculated my fuel mileage. on 12.9 gallons of fuel I covered 326 miles. Thats 25.2 mpg average. Thats up from the first tank of gas, which was 24.2. I drove 65-70mph, did a lot of in town driving, and used 4 ounces of Lucus gas treatment. Thats bone stock with no mods. Im hoping for a slight increase after cat-back exhaust and CAI.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:58 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

I miss that MPG

Yes sir you are correct, La Rouge = The Red, I prefer girl names for my cars as you can tell.

The front pulleys are not hard to remove. All you need are some wrenches, sockets, and a pulley puller/press. And you can do them all. Keep in mind though, not all the pullies may be metal.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:10 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

fyi motorcraft plugs are made by autolight, NGKs are good to

you can get stangwires from autobadges that I had on mine i was happy with, and a screaming demon coil pack is cheaper then a ford and an upgrade as well.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:25 PM
Blue07V6
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangman02232
fyi motorcraft plugs are made by autolight, NGKs are good to

you can get stangwires from autobadges that I had on mine i was happy with, and a screaming demon coil pack is cheaper then a ford and an upgrade as well.
thats the next thing on the list before moving to exhaust and other mods. Looked at Autolight single prong platinums today, If I remember correctly our cars use AP105 plugs. I have been very happy with the Autolight plugs I have used in my 5.0s and FEs. I have been debating on whether or not its worth it to upgrade the coild pack.

The front pulleys are not hard to remove. All you need are some wrenches, sockets, and a pulley puller/press. And you can do them all. Keep in mind though, not all the pullies may be metal.
Yes, Im aware, I already have a pulley puller. I should be ok with just cleaning the brackets and painting them with black engine paint, may take off the powersteering pump and clean and possibly paint it too. The fluid looks old so I think I will put in some new power steering fluid.

I have put 1,000 miles on the car in just under 2 weeks. So you can imagine what a couple years will rack up on her, sp she needs to be in the best of health.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:46 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Absolutely zero need to put a different coil pack in other than stock or OEM replacement.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:04 AM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jthorn9
Absolutely zero need to put a different coil pack in other than stock or OEM replacement.
IIRC, a screaming demon coil is cheaper then a motorcraft

Quick Reply: My 98 Project Daily Driver